Courtesy of Captain Cookie and Nicholas ​Donner

Discover DC’s best dessert food trucks

Must-have sweets and treats driving around the District

Ah, spring, the time of year that brings the end of Lent, which marks the time of year that brings an end to Lenten fasts and where people around the world celebrate Easter. For me, it marks the end of my junk food fast. And what better way to celebrate than to go all all out and find the best desserts around D.C.? Here’s a list of some of the best dessert food trucks around the District that’s sure to get you started.

Astro Donuts and Fried Chicken

When it comes to snagging some of the best donuts in D.C., you don’t have to look any farther than the Astro Donuts and Fried Chicken food truck. Throughout the week, the truck makes stops in NOMA, University of the District of Columbia, Friendship Heights, L’Enfant Plaza and Ballston between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.

Here, you can keep it simple with a Vanilla Glazed, or dive into your tropical side with the Passion Fruit Coconut. Other flavors include Maple Bacon, PB&J, Creme Brulee, Banana Salted Cashew, Rocky Road and -- true to the season -- Cherry Blossom. Donut prices range from $2.40 to $3.50, which is not so bad for thick gourmet donuts that are big enough to share with a friend. If you decide you want a little more than just a snack however, you might want to whip out a few extra bills; they also offer chicken BLT sandwiches, fried chicken sandwiches and chicken fingers ranging from $7.75 to $8.75.

Captain Cookies & the Milkman

You can never go wrong with a milk and cookies, especially if you visit the Captain Cookie food truck around D.C. The truck often makes stops in Franklin Square, L’Enfant Plaza and Union Station among other places; their locations change every week, so be sure to keep up with their schedule on their website. The chewy cookies are made fresh in the truck everyday, and range from chocolate chip to Funfetti, even including a special vegan chocolate chip cookie for those who’d rather skip the milk and eggs.

The truck also offers local milk and ice cream for an extra treat, and they don’t mind making you a sandwich with two of your favorite cookies and a dollop of vanilla, chocolate or black cherry ice cream in between. Cookies are $1.25, milk is $2.50, ice cream is $3 and a sandwich is $5.

That Cheesecake Truck

When you visit Sweetz Cheesecake’s That Cheesecake Truck, you’ll be able to leave knowing you helped serve a good cause. That’s because 10 percent of the truck’s proceeds go to a different local charity each month, which fans are able to vote for on its website. The company boasts about traveling anywhere in the DMV area, primarily when it comes to private events. Be sure to keep an eye out for Truckeroo, a food truck festival event to be held on Half Street on May 5 this year, as well as other dates throughout the summer. That Cheesecake Truck is sure to make an appearance.

The company offers four inch individual cheesecakes, including Classic Plain, Brown Sugar Bourbon, Key Lime, Strawberries n’ Cream, Peanut Butter Cup, Cookies n’ Cream, Raspberry Swirl and Banana Puddin’, along with other wild card flavors they like to throw in every week. Individual slices cost $4, but the truck also has deals where you can buy two for $7, or three for $10.

In case you feel like mixing it up a bit, they also serve cheesecake dippers covered in chocolate, cheesecake minis, as well as vegan and gluten free products, including variations of brownies, cookies, and of course, cheesecake.

Pleasant Pops

As we move toward the warmer months, it’s going to be about time to start cooling off with a nice Pleasant Pop. To keep it simple, these are fresh ingredients frozen in a pop mold, giving you a delicious treat that deviates from everyday flavors you might find at the store. For the month of April, these included flavors such as: Strawberry Ginger Lemonade, Mexican Chocolate, New Orleans Iced Coffee, Orange Cream and more, some of which exclude dairy.

All are original recipes that constantly rotate as they run out. You can purchase a pop for $3, four pops for $11 or 10 pops for $27. The company also serves various other breakfast and lunch options. You can find Pleasant Pops trucks at either one of its two locations in Adams Morgan or downtown D.C. Pleasant Pops carts can also be found at the Dupont Circle and Mount Pleasant weekly at farmers’ markets.

cjames@theeagleonline.com