Two armed robberies occur near campus

Robberies take place on the same night in the Spring Valley area

Armed men robbed at least two people in two separate incidents near campus Monday night. At least one of the victims was an AU student.

No injuries were reported and it is unclear what belongings were stolen from the victims or if the same suspects were involved in each incident, according to the AU Alert. No arrests have been made in connection to the incidents, and the case is still open, according to the Metropolitan Police Department.

The first robbery took place at 8:16 p.m. in the 4700 block of Tilden St. NW, near Wesley Theological Seminary, northwest of campus, according to the AU Alert sent out at 9:05 p.m. The alert email instructed recipients to look out for a 4-door black Sedan occupied by two black males in their early twenties.

In this incident, police described the first suspect, who was carrying a gun, as a “dark-skinned male” standing 5 feet 11 inches tall wearing a hoodie and black jacket. The second suspect is a “light skinned male” with curly hair, the alert said.

The second robbery took place south of campus at 8:27 p.m. in the 5300 block of Sherier Pl. NW near MacArthur Blvd. and Arizona Ave. A black Audi was spotted with a partial tag of 43CA or 43C from an unidentified state, according to the alert.

The first suspect in this incident, who was armed, was described as a 5 foot 10 inch black male wearing dark clothes. The second suspect is a “light complected unknown male,” the alert said.

American University Public Safety was unable to give details on the case because the crimes occurred off campus and are being handled by the Metropolitan Police.

adonohue@theeagleonline.com