JESSICA WILLIAMS

Comedian Jessica Williams to speak in Sept. 10 KPU event

Comedian and “Daily Show” Correspondent Jessica Williams will come to AU on Sept. 10 as the first Kennedy Political Union speaker of the school year, according to a statement released by the organization.

KPU Director Valeria Ojeda-Avitia said in an interview with The Eagle that the group tried to choose a speaker who would appeal to students from schools outside of the School of Public Affairs and the School of International Service.

“We’re trying to go outside of the box of political speakers to appeal to the rest of the student body,” said Ojeda-Avitia. “We’re definitely shaking things up.”

Williams joined “The Daily Show” in 2012 as its youngest correspondent in program history and was named one of Variety’s “Top 10 Comics to Watch” that same year. Some of her most notable sketches, such as "Frisky Business" and "Assault Swim," provide social commentary on racial issues.

The writer and performer is also an actress, having made her television debut in 2006 on Nickelodeon's “Just for Kicks” and more recently appearing on the third season of HBO’s “Girls.”

Ojeda-Avitia said KPU also hopes to make a statement by bringing in a speaker who represents two different minority groups. According to information from Student Government, 85.12 percent of KPU’s total expenditures in the 2013 to 2014 school year went towards bringing white male speakers to campus.

“In general our society has focused on a certain image of success,” Ojeda-Avitia said. “I want to use KPU as a way to showcase that it is also people of color and also women who are successful today.”

Williams will address the AU community on September 10 at 8:15 p.m. in Bender Arena. After opening remarks and news clips from “The Daily Show,” she will take questions from the audience.

The event is free and open to all AU students and faculty. KPU will be releasing 100 tickets available for guests of students online for $10 in advance and $15 the week immediately before the event.

asrikanth@theeagleonline.com