Ryan Tanner-Read

Articles

News

Titus Andronicus bring new ideas to concept LP

When Titus Andronicus blew up in 2008, it was their lo-fi sound and literary references that endeared this New Jersey five-piece to hipsters of all stripes. They seemed like a decidedly cool band to like, and their off-kilter personalities and underground status made them an instant notch in the belt of indie kids everywhere.

News

Natural sounds carry nostalgia

In the recent documentary “It Might Get Loud,” Jack White of the White Stripes, the Raconteurs and seemingly endlessly multiplying projects, builds a guitar with little more than a piece of wood, some string, a coke bottle and an amplifier.

News

Age of MP3 detrimental to album cohesiveness

When people can download any song they want, the biggest hits from a new record fly off the electronic shelves while the rest of an album’s tracks lie dormant. The consequence of this is artists have no reason to continue thinking of their work in terms of whole albums like they did back in the days of CDs and vinyl discs.

News

Superchunk sticks to classic summer sounds

Never heard of Superchunk? You probably should have. As a venerable '90s chug-punk band they achieved modest commercial and critical success, but they may be more important in today's musical climate as the founders of the indie label Merge, which has recently brought us big bands like the Arcade Fire and Spoon.

News

Vinyl hits groove, keeps spinning

Downloaded music is killing the CD. Years ago, the CD killed the cassette. Even before that, cassettes killed the vinyl record. But it's not that simple. In 2007, compact disc sales were down more than 20 percent from the previous year, according to the Recording Industry Association of America.

More articles by Ryan Tanner-Read

Would you like to support our work? Donate here to The Eagle Innovation Fund.

From the Archives

A look back into The Eagle's archives.