From: The Dynasty

Local ties in United States’ Final Copa America roster

D.C. United defender Steve Birnbaum figures to play a role in the U.S Men's National Team back line this summer at the Copa America Centenario

D.C. United defender Steve Birnbaum and former United midfielder Perry Kitchen were named to the United States Men’s National Team final roster ahead of the Copa America Centenario this summer. Birnbaum has made 54 appearances for United since being selected with the 2nd overall pick in the 2014 MLS Superdraft. Kitchen, a member of D.C. United from 2011-2014, recently signed with Hearts of Midlothian in the Scottish Premier League.

Birnbaum, 25, has earned four previous caps for the National Team, scoring his first international goal against Iceland on Jan. 31 and starting against Guatemala in a World Cup Qualifier on March 28. Birnbaum was included ahead of World Cup veteran Omar Gonzalez and Ventura Alvarado, who has featured prominently in the World Cup Qualifying campaign. Birnbaum will join the national team Monday ahead of Wednesday’s Copa America tune-up game against Ecuador in Dallas, Texas.

Kitchen, 24, has made five caps for the national team, making his debut against Panama on February 8, 2015. Kitchen started in the first Copa America tune-up game on Sunday against Puerto Rico.

The U.S. opens play in the Copa America Centenario against Colombia on June 3 in Santa Clara, California.

vsalandro@theeagleonline.com

More from The Dynasty