WCL-stock-3.JPG

Washington College of Law student to become Board of Trustees student representative

Angela Chen steps up to fill vacancy left by Jehane Djedjro

Second-year Washington College of Law student Angela Chen will replace Jehane Djedjro, a graduating senior in the School of International Service, as the student representative to American University’s Board of Trustees.  

The Board of Trustees appoints one student from any school or college at the University to represent the student body at Board meetings each year, which occur twice a semester. 

“Day to day, I’m a regular student. When it comes to the week of, and the week before the Board of Trustees … I start reviewing information for different committees,” Djedjro said. 

Part of the responsibilities as student representative include meeting with different student leaders such as Student Government President Edwin Santos, Student Bar Association President David Quintero and Graduate Leadership Council President Samantha Noland. 

“We kind of talk about what’s going on, what are some accomplishments, what are some concerns,” Djedjro said. “It’s really about gathering as much information as I can and making sure that I understand what the concerns are.” 

When it is time for the Board to meet, the student representative presents about their work on certain committees. Djedjro spent time on a committee focused on furthering undergraduate students’ understanding of the University’s Changemakers for a Changing World plan, along with Edwin Santos.  

Student representatives on the Board are not allowed to vote. AU students voted in the fall to approve a referendum that would give the student representative voting powers on the Board. This referendum was led by Salvatore Cattone, and passed the Senate unanimously on September 16th, 2023. 

“I know that a lot of the decisions that are made, I was a part of those conversations, so I would say I’m proud of those,” Djedjro said. “I’m not in the room when voting is happening…I know that my words are taken into consideration and that whenever I speak, they actually listen.”

Chen, who will take over as student representative starting with her first board meetings on May 16th and 17th, said she feels she has a “unique perspective” having also been an undergraduate student in the School of Public Affairs at AU. While an undergraduate, Chen served as student body president for the 2019-20 academic year.

Chen remains involved on campus by working with AUx students, and hosting office hours in Tthe Bbridge Cafein the coming year. 

“Right now I’m working with the AUx program … so I still get to interface with the undergrad students,” Chen said. “I was relatively recently an AU undergraduate student, I have a good understanding of the culture on campus.”

Djedjro urges inserted students to apply for the student representative position in the future. 

“I know I’ve had questions like, ‘Do you think I’m qualified? Should I apply,’ I say apply,” Djedjro said. “They look for students that are willing to be in positions where they have uncomfortable conversations.”

The application opens over the summer. After submission, applications will interview with the head of undergraduate student government, the graduate council, and the bar association. Finalists from those interviews are then approved by the Board. 

Chen echoes the sentiment and also calls for anyone to apply. 

“I would say, just do it and apply … as long as you are interested and you have a good understanding of what the role is,” Chen said. “That is something I think is so important is advocating for the best possible outcomes for the students that are attending American University right now.”

This article was edited by Tyler Davis, Abigail Turner and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Isabelle Kravis and Ariana Kavoossi.

administration@theeagleonline.com