CASE headshot 1.jpeg

New leadership breathes life into Student Government’s CASE

CASE supports students individually and advocates for their concerns with University offices

From the Newsstands: This story appeared in The Eagle's April 2024 print edition. You can find the digital version here

The American University Student Government reintroduced the Center for Assistance with Services and Equity at the start of the spring semester after appointing a new deputy director. 

CASE was previously on hiatus due to a lack of leadership. Salvatore Cattone, the speaker pro tempore of the Undergraduate Senate and a junior in the School of Public Affairs, said CASE’s main initiative is to guide students through any conduct violation situations they may become involved with at the University.

“We wanted to bring it back because of how important it is,” Cattone said. “We want to help students in every capacity, not just changes on campus, but students that are dealing with issues.”

Jeremy Acaba, a senior in the School of International Service, entered the role of acting director this semester after working to get CASE back up and running last semester and over the summer. 

Acaba said CASE is an active resource on campus that provides student-led support to students through any University disciplinary process, including the Student Conduct Code, Academic Integrity Code, Equity and Title IX, Housing and Dining policies.

To connect with a student advocate for help, students should fill out an intake form found on the AUSG website with information about their case. 

“Students come up to us through the intake process,” Acaba said. “Once they file the intake we see how we can best help them, and then we sort them into the proper department.” 

Acaba said he likes to think of student advocates with cases as “student lawyers” who support students in drafting statements and sifting through policy language. These students have been trained through the University and by the director of CASE, according to Cattone. 

“It can be scary, especially when an administrator from the school emails you a very bland email saying you have a case against you,” Acaba said. “We help ease those nerves and support them all through that process.” 

Advocates will attend meetings and hearings with the student and assist in drafting statements. Student advocates also sign nondisclosure agreements to maintain confidentiality. 

Beyond individual casework, CASE works more broadly to clarify different policies like Title IX through student-to-student interactions.  

“The advocacy lies with meeting with department heads from the school for each respective department and voicing certain concerns,” Acaba said. “So putting in that student perspective, and feedback is definitely really important.” 

CASE is currently looking for members of the community to fill various spots on its staff. The link to fill out an application can be found on their Instagram.

“This semester is when we’re really getting new members inside CASE and then just hitting the ground running,” Acaba said.

This article was edited by Kathryn Squyres, Abigail Turner and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Isabelle Kravis, Romy Hermans and Charlie Mennuti.

campuslife@theeagleonline.com