Saturday, July 27, 2024
ausign.jpg

BREAKING: Tunnel and campus street named after Lydecker family

Lydeckers’ donation supports Student Thriving Complex

The road from Glover Gate to the Hall of Science and the tunnel under Mary Graydon Center will be named after the Lydecker family on April 1. 

The naming follows a donation from Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees Charlie Lydecker and his wife Christine, according to an email from Chief Financial Officer, Vice President and Treasurer Bronté Burleigh-Jones and Vice President for University Advancement Courtney L. Surls.

The construction to install the signage for Lydecker Way and Lydecker Tunnel will take two to three days, according to the email. 

Naming the street and tunnel are part of the University’s comprehensive Exterior Wayfinding and Signage Master Plan Project, which aims to standardize exterior signs around the campus to help the University community and visitors navigate. 

Nana An, the University’s former assistant vice president of finance and chief budget officer, helped support the project early on with a donation from her and her husband to commemorate her retirement.

“We are grateful to the Ans and Lydeckers for their investment in the Exterior Wayfinding and Signage Master Plan Project, and are excited to deliver these enhancements to the campus community,” Burleigh-Jones and Surls wrote in the email.

The Lydeckers’ donation of an unspecified amount will support the $109 million construction of the Student Thriving Complex, AU’s investment in athletics, student well-being and student engagement.  

This article was edited by Kathryn Squyres, Abigail Turner and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks and Isabelle Kravis.