Abby Turner Headshot

Abigail Turner named The Eagle’s 2024-2025 Editor-in-Chief

Turner is The Eagle’s current news managing editor

The Eagle’s advisory board has selected Abigail Turner, The Eagle’s current news managing editor, as its editor-in-chief for the 2024-2025 school year. 

Turner leads the News section, which includes the administration, local news, campus life, features and data and investigations sections. She oversees a staff of 24, who, under her guidance, cover on-campus protests and AU policy. Turner recently edited The Eagle’s investigation into the 2022 Leonard Hall incident and was instrumental in producing that article in a timely manner. 

Turner has been a member of The Eagle since the June before her freshman year. Previously, she served as a reliable news staff writer and investigations editor. As a member of the news staff, Turner served as a student government beat reporter and covered union negotiations as a staff writer. In March 2023, Turner wrote an investigation which found that American University violated Title IX laws and University policies. 

Lydia LoPiccolo, a news staff reporter who has worked under Turner this semester, said Turner is a good leader who “seems to have a really strong vision for The Eagle and has always been super committed.”

“She is super receptive to any questions or difficulties that we have … I was in my first semester as a writer and had a lot of questions for her in the beginning and she was able to guide me through all of that,” LoPiccolo said. “She trusted me to write stories that I wouldn’t have had the chance to write.”

Turner, a junior, hails from Powell, Ohio and is pursuing a dual degree in journalism and political science. She is currently a political unit intern at CNN, and formerly served as an intern for CNN’s KFile. She also previously interned at Current, a nonprofit news organization. Turner will take over as editor-in-chief in April 2024. 

apritchard@theeagleonline.com