valentines restaurants pic

The perfect date night spots for Valentine’s Day

Don’t know where to take your special someone? Let’s talk about some ideas

The day of love and all things romance has arrived, so it’s the perfect time to find a date night spot. Trying to find a restaurant with just the right vibe can be difficult, but perhaps one of these suggestions will make your Valentine’s Day one to remember. Even if you are having a delayed Valentine’s Day date, these recommendations are sure to make your celebration just as exciting.

Il Canale

If you and your significant other are craving Italian cuisine, Il Canale in Georgetown is the perfect spot.

The inside walls of the restaurant are covered with brick and beautiful artwork, and its cozy atmosphere has earned Il Canale a spot on this list. If you and your partner prefer laid-back yet intimate dining, this place is for you. 

While it is a bit on the pricier side, you definitely get what you pay for. The food is great and there are so many options on their menu. Some notable meals include the lobster ravioli, the gnocchi, the margherita pizza and the bruschetta appetizer. For those of age, they also have an extensive selection of sparkling, red, white and rosé wines.

Le Diplomate

For those interested in authentic French cuisine and surrounding yourself with history, Le Diplomate in Logan Circle is your Valentine’s Day destination.  

As soon as you walk into Le Diplomate, you are met with a breadth of French culture in the form of historical pictures and signature attire (i.e. French sports jerseys) hanging on the wall. The French cafe is curating a special Valentine’s Day menu, with dishes such as Kumamoto oysters, filet mignon and lobster au poivre. For dessert, they offer mi-cuit chocolat, or molten chocolate cake. 

Like Il Canale, their prices are on the higher side, with the filet mignon priced at $58 as just one example. However, if you’re able to spend your Valentine’s at this restaurant, you’re sure to enjoy it.

Gypsy Kitchen DC 

Located right off the U Street Metro station, Gypsy Kitchen DC is an amazing restaurant for a Valentine’s Day dinner. Its fantastic food and wonderful customer service are what make Gypsy Kitchen a standout.

Dim lighting surrounds the entire restaurant, creating intimacy just right for a Valentine's Day date. No matter what time you go, the beautiful rooftop is also available for your meal. 

Like Le Diplomate, Gypsy Kitchen DC has a Valentine’s Day specific menu featuring short rib croquettes, a beet salad and a flan for dessert. Aside from this curated selection, they regularly serve beef kebabs, mussels, baklava cast iron pie and more. 

Founding Farmers

This American cuisine chain here in D.C. offers guests delicious, yet affordable options. There are three locations in the city, including Georgetown, Foggy Bottom and Chinatown. 

Couples can enjoy the Valentine’s dinner experience at the Foggy Bottom location. For $40, you can surprise your date with roses and enjoy six chocolate-covered strawberries during your special night.

The Foggy Bottom location has a rustic, yet elegant interior and a wide menu selection. Some standout meals are the skillet cornbread, the fried chicken and the cracker-crusted shrimp. They also offer peanut butter banana toast and breakfast street tacos, among other courses, for breakfast.

Whether you are in the mood for breakfast/brunch, lunch or dinner, Founding Farmers is a great option for your Valentine’s Day meal. 

Succotash

Last but not least is Succotash in Penn Quarter. 

This Southern restaurant offers a special ambiance ideal for Valentine’s Day. The architecture and decor are awe-inspiring and perfect for impressing a date. Even the facade lends a sense of grandeur with large, white pillars framing the entrance. 

Succotash’s take on chicken and waffles is a delicious meal and a stand out on the menu. Alongside this classic dish, you can order a pimento cheeseburger, shrimp and grits or apple cider BBQ pork ribs.

Succotash also has a Valentine’s Day menu which will be offered from Feb. 9 until the holiday. Couples can enjoy a crab cake appetizer, a duck breast or halibut for an entree, and a chocolate brownie for dessert. 

If you and your date are craving unique Southern food, Succotash should be your pick.

No matter the restaurant you choose, hopefully, you and your loved one have a safe and wonderful Valentine’s Day.

This article has been edited by Eliza DuBose, Sara Winick and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Sarah Clayton and Charlie Mennuti.

life@theeagleonline.com