vday playlist album pics

12 songs that will make you smile or sob this Valentine’s Day

Fall in love with these pro and anti-Valentine’s tunes

Valentine’s Day is a holiday full of complications. 

Every year on February 14, two camps of people emerge — those who adore the pink and red filled day of love and those who despise it. No matter which camp you lie in, these song selections are the perfect soundtrack for any iteration of Valentine’s Day plans. 

First up is a playlist for all the romantics out there.

PRO: 

Friday I’m In Love” - The Cure

Starting off strong with a classic tune, you can never go wrong with a pick from the happier part of The Cure’s discography. 

“Friday I’m In Love” is a classic, upbeat hit that Valentine’s Day party guests will be sure to love.

Just Like Heaven” - The Cure

Have someone you can’t stop thinking about this Valentine’s Day? 

“Just Like Heaven” is a great way to express to that special someone how much they mean to you. Like the last pick, “Just Like Heaven” features The Cure’s popular upbeat instrumentation to match your happy mood.

She Will Be Loved” - Maroon 5

This next song is perfect for those who enjoy 2000s alternative rock.

Playing these heartfelt lyrics for your crush could have some great results this Valentine’s Day season. The mellow sound of Maroon 5 can help set the mood for a chill night in.

EARFQUAKE” - Tyler, The Creator

Whether you’re listening with friends or a significant other, Tyler, The Creator is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. This R&B/Hip Hop classic is great for any dance party or jam session with the person you need when it all comes crashing down.

Green Eyes” - Coldplay

This next song is a hidden gem from Coldplay’s discography. 

Its acoustic nature and sweet lyrics will communicate how much you love the person you’re spending the holiday with. It’s like “The Scientist,” but for happy people.

Stockholm Syndrome” - One Direction

Whether you’re out at karaoke night or just want to impress your date with your One Direction knowledge, this is a perfect pick for you. “Stockholm Syndrome” is one of the lesser-known songs on 1D’s hit album “FOUR,” and it’s great to sing along to.

ANTI:

If those last selections weren’t your speed, these songs are a perfect complement for any anti-Valentine’s Day feelings.

get him back!” - Olivia Rodrigo

This song is for anyone with an ex or a situationship who just didn’t do enough — and maybe flirted with too many of your friends. “get him back!” is perfect for screaming at loud volumes while whacking inanimate objects with a baseball bat (with safety gear on, of course).

Birds Dont Sing” - TV Girl

Believe it or not, there really is no apostrophe in this song’s title. 

“Birds Dont Sing” is perfect for reminiscing about someone who ghosted you or a crush gone wrong. The apathy TV Girl feels for the subject of this song emulates the feeling of being ignored or rejected with precision. 

Fade Into You” - Mazzy Star

If you look to someone and see nothing, this song is a great place to start. 

Mazzy Star’s soothing voice and punch-packing lyrics are the perfect combination to bring you catharsis without having to violently sob your way through it.

This Charming Man” - The Smiths

Anyone who has plans on Valentine’s Day but doesn’t want to go would benefit from giving “This Charming Man” a listen. Morrissey perfectly communicates the feeling of not wanting to leave your house and see other humans, all in a strangely upbeat format.

Silver Springs (Live at Warner Brothers Studios)” - Fleetwood Mac

This is for anyone out there with a deadbeat ex who you wish you could haunt at all times for revenge. 

The live version makes every word hit even harder and features more vocal emotion than the original version from “Rumours.” If you’re looking for a good song to belt in the shower, this is your winner.

What Once Was” - Her’s

Last but certainly not least, this final track is the most popular song from Her’s. 

“What Once Was” captures the emotions of wanting someone you love back, all in an immaculate indie rock format. While perfect for solo Valentine’s Day brooding, this song is also an ideal soundtrack for a summer drive with the windows down.

Whether you’re pro or anti-Valentine’s Day, these songs are sure to help set the mood you and your plus ones are looking for on a night out or a night in.

All featured songs, artists and albums are available to stream on Spotify.

This article was edited by Marina Zaczkiewicz, Sara Winick and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Isabelle Kravis and Charlie Mennuti.

life@theeagleonline.com