Thursday, May 2, 2024
ego market

EGO hosts artist showcase and flea market with student vendors

Students emphasized the importance of supporting student small businesses

Maddie Corrigan started making jewelry for fun. Now she sells jeans, sweaters and jewelry. 

“A lot of this is a reflection of myself honestly. To be fully honest, a lot of these clothes are things I bought, usually with the intention of wearing myself,” Corrigan said.

EGO, American University's fashion magazine, hosted an artist showcase and flea market that featured student vendors like Corrigan on Friday. The event gave students the opportunity to explore artists and vendors who are a part of the AU community. The market featured a wide selection of articles including clothing, jewelry and crocheted items.

With the help of student organizations like EGO, students are presented with a chance to share their creations and collections with the community. 

“In my experience, at least, EGO is the only student organization that really supports this stuff,” Corrigan said. “I am so grateful for that because it is just such a great opportunity.” 

Sasha Maday, one of the vendors at the showcase and a senior in the School of Public Affairs, crochets with their roommate. Maday derives inspiration from family members who also crochet. 

“I’ve crocheted for a while and it's just nice to make a little money off of what you like to do,” Maday said.  

The flea market is a place where students can showcase their products and make some extra money. 

“Especially at a school like this, a lot of people want to have an internship or something but a lot of things are not really paid,” Maday said. “I think this is kind of a good way to make a little bit extra money on the side.” 

Some students are concerned about the type of fabric or material their clothes are made from, some of which are created using synthetic materials. Maday said they care a lot about the fibers they wear. 

“It’s satisfying to be able to wear something that you made because everyone is impressed by you,” Maday said. 

Kendall Spink, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Communication, is also the events coordinator for EGO. Spink organized the event by reaching out to vendors in a group chat, which she continues to add interested students to. 

“We like to give local and student artists and vendors kind of an outlet to showcase their work and help expand their businesses,” Spink said.

Giving students the opportunity to both buy and sell can foster a sense of community. Support for student small businesses can bring people together.

“People carry on. They enjoy the events we do, so they want to come to the next one, which is awesome,” Spink said.

This article was edited by Maria Tedesco, Patricia McGee and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks and Olivia Citarella.

life@theeagleonline.com