IMG_9256.jpg

How to host the perfect Galentine’s Day in a pinch

Here are some ways to celebrate friendship and make lasting memories, even on short notice

Entering February brings about a couple changes: the constant struggle to spell the month’s name, day’s getting just a little bit warmer and, of course, the most romantic holiday of the year. But right around this candy and heart filled time of the month is a monumental holiday all about friendship, fun and hanging out with friends: Galentine’s Day.

Here’s a list of some options to help you celebrate Galentine’s Day in style.

See a comedy show

D.C. has some great comedy spots to keep you laughing all night. Going with a group of friends is sure to be a fun time and a good way to indulge in some horrible Valentine’s Day stories.

The Comedy Loft of DC has some great upcoming performers and events this Galentine’s Day, such as Alingon Mitra, Matt Rife, Yolks on You Burlesque and Variety Brunch and more. The Comedy Club has a variety of different comedians per show to give you a range of sets each night. Or why not try The DC Improv Comedy Club that has various stand-up performers, including specials on Valentine’s Day with Wil Sylvince and Couples Therapy.  

Host a dinner party

For a more intimate experience celebrating your friends, try hosting a dinner party. Theme it Galentine’s Day to have an excuse to get all dressed up with your friends. Have each person bring their favorite dish to the dinner, or if cooking isn’t up your alley, order takeout from one of these restaurants. It’s the perfect opportunity to have a great meal and try something new with your close friends. 

Have a game night

If you’re looking for a more chill game night, play a low- stakes card game that helps you get to know more about each other, like We’re Not Really Strangers, For the Girls or Let’s Get Deep. If the mood for a longer game hits, play something like Catan, Monopoly or Clue. 

Charcuterie or fondue night

Why not host a charcuterie or fondue night? Everyone can bring a dish to add to the meal. If it’s a charcuterie night and the weather is permitting, take it mobile and host it by the Georgetown waterfront, on the National Mall, at the Wharf or stay local and have it on the AU quad. 

For a fondue night, have a nice night at home, dipping all the best treats in fondue while you snuggle up to a comforting movie together. Some classic Galentine movies are Mean Girls, She’s the Man, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Clueless or The Other Woman. But really any movie that brings nostalgia is enjoyable, and, of course, a good girl power message would be perfect to pair a fondue night.

No matter what option you chose from this list, just make sure Galentine’s Day is celebrated in style, focusing on loving friendships, strong bonds and cherished relationships. In the wise words of Leslie Knope, “What’s Galentine’s Day? Oh, it’s only the best day of the year.” 

This article was edited by Kylie Bill and Nina Heller. Copy editing by Isabelle Kravis, Stella Guzik and Luna Jinks.

gdinardo@theeagleonline.com