Letts-stock.jpg

AU to resume allowing outside guests in residence halls for spring semester

New policy took effect on Jan. 12

Students living on campus this semester will once again be allowed to have outside guests enter their residence halls with them, the department of Housing and Residence Life announced in an email to residents on Friday. 

The new guest policy went into place on Jan. 12, several days before the start of the spring semester. The policy prohibiting outside guests was implemented in fall 2021 due to American University’s coronavirus mitigation policies. Prior to the onset of the coronavirus pandemic in spring 2020, non-AU-affiliated guests such as friends and family of those living in the dorms could visit after being checked in and out at the residence hall’s front desk. 

According to the email from HRL, visitors must be accompanied by their host at all times, must be checked in and out at the front desk any time they enter and exit the building and must show a government-issued photo ID to the front desk staff when they check-in, similarly to procedures in place prior to fall 2021. 

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.