club-sports-print.jpeg

Looking for a club sport to join?

An overview of four inclusive club sports for those looking to compete and have fun

From the Newsstands: This story appeared in The Eagle's November 2022 print edition. You can find the digital version here

Club sports at American University provide a friendly and inclusive environment for everyone, whether you have been playing a sport for years or if you are a novice and want to try a new sport for the very first time.

Many players on the AU women’s club rugby team have never played rugby prior to college. AU women’s club rugby is the ideal team for anyone looking to join an accepting and approachable team.

The team is set up to allow rookies to have the best introduction to rugby they can possibly have. The team has bigs and littles as well as a “rookie mama” in order for new players to not feel intimidated.

“The team is something where what you put into it, you get back tenfold,” said senior Talon Hyatt.

AU women’s club rugby displayed their dominance of the game by clinching the title of spring 2022 conference champions in their division.

Women’s club rugby is a Division II team in the Potomac Rugby Union in the Mid-Atlantic Rugby Football Union.

The team competes against other DMV club rugby teams, which include George Washington, The University of Maryland at College Park and William & Mary.

The love of the sport continues even after college graduation as some of the AU women’s club rugby players play for The DC Revolution, a local rugby club. AU’s women’s club lacrosse is a community founded on a mutual love for lacrosse. Often students believe they will not be able to play the sport they love once they come to college; fortunately, with teams such as club lacrosse, students can continue to play their favorite sport with other club collegiate athletes.

The club was originally founded in 2014 but unfortunately became inactive after two years. As a sophomore, Ginger Schwarz refounded the team in 2019 and it has been active ever since. 

Although the club is relatively new, they will be joining a league in the spring. The team defeated GWU last semester.

This season, the team routinely competes against teams such as GWU, Georgetown University and Towson University.

Club lacrosse also competes in a variety of tournaments such as Playday, which is hosted at GWU, and the Kelsey Classic Tournament.

A majority of the team played lacrosse on a varsity level in high school, making them a competitive team to face.

Although most of the club lacrosse team players have previous lacrosse experience prior to joining the team, the team encourages anyone to try out.

“We always find someone a spot on the team,” Schwarz said.

Club volleyball is a community for all of those who love the sport and want the opportunity to carry on their passion into their collegiate years. Club volleyball has two teams, a red and a blue team. Although the club is separated into two teams, they still have a bond.

“We are like family,” club volleyball co-president, Asia Fares, said.

A sense of community is a consistent theme throughout all the club sports teams.

For those available on Wednesday nights and have spare hockey gear, AU’s club ice hockey may be the club sport for you.

“Anyone can play if they have equipment and want to learn how to play,” team captain and president Steven Blum said. AU club ice hockey competes against teams in the DMV, such as UMD and William & Mary.

Last season, the team made it to the regional playoffs. The team is on the come up, and Blum sees the team to be a force to be reckoned with.

“Everyone wants to win,” Blum said.

Students who play club sports say they are a great way to continue to play the sport they love in col- lege while meeting new friends and having fun.

“Everyone is happy to have the opportunity to play in college,” Blum said.

hnewlontrujillo@theeagleonline.com