Lookbook: Summer styles to take your wardrobe to the next level

ll the hottest fashion trends for you to try this summer

It’s the middle of summer and there’s never been a better time to update your wardrobe. The D.C. humidity is at its peak and light, breathable and stylish outfits are exactly what’s needed as the heat rises. Luckily, the Eagle has a fashionable lookbook perfect for the occasion.

Athleisure 

Athleisure is all the rage these days, and it’s the perfect antidote to the summer’s blistering heat. The best pairs of athletic shorts can be found at Nike, Lululemon (they may be expensive, but the quality is worth the price), Adidas and on Amazon, but for a more sustainable alternative, try shopping secondhand with apps like Depop and Poshmark

Athletic shirts are also built to be breathable and sweat-resistant, and men’s workout shirts are a great investment. 

The blue Lululemon shorts pictured below can be found here, and the pink Nike running shirt can be found here.

Fun Shirts

When you want to liven things up for a night out on the town, the go-to top is an oldie but goodie; the Hawaiian shirt. Some of the best shirts can be found on vintage sites like eBay, Depop and Grailed, but the Georgetown Flea Market can also be a great spot to find them and a way to support local small businesses. These shirts are perfect for their fun designs, bright colors and light material. Plus, they’re just like the iconic bright blue print worn by Leonardo Dicaprio in the 1996 production of Romeo + Juliet, and if he could make it look good, then so can you.  

The shirt pictured above and purchased at Abercrombie can be found on Poshmark. Similar short sleeve mens shirts can be found at Abercrombie

Accessories

Alongside clothing, accessories elevate any outfit, and the Urban Outfitters sale section is one of the best places to find cute necklaces and bracelets at unbeatable prices. Once again, the Georgetown Flea Market is another great source for inexpensive vintage rings, chains and earrings as well as a great way to support local jewelry makers. I believe the right accessories can perfectly complement any outfit. I usually try to match my necklaces by color to the shirt or shorts I’m wearing, but don’t be afraid to mix and match depending on the vibe you’re going for.  

Both necklaces featured above were purchased on sale at Urban Outfitters, the sale section for accessories is available here. The pink necklace pictured above can be found here and a similar blue necklace can be purchased here.

2000s Fashion

In terms of fashion trends, the 2000s are having a resurgence right now — from low-cut jeans to Von Dutch hats and camo pants (as pictured above, and found here and here). The over-the-top maximalist stylings popularized by the likes of Lindsay Lohan, Raven Symone and Ashley Tisdale are having their moment in the sun, and this summer is the perfect time to put your own spin on outfits worn by your childhood icons. 

Resale apps like Depop, Poshmark, Grailed and eBay, are a treasure trove of 2000s fashion. And this is the perfect season to answer the question: why just listen to Hannah Montana when you can dress like her too? 

I love expressing myself through my outfits and I hope this article inspires you to make some bold choices when you decide to update your wardrobe this summer.

rgillis@theeagleonline.com