treble in paradise

Treble in Paradise’s ‘Discopalooza’ is a smash hit

After a year without in-person performances, Treble in Paradise host the a cappella event of the season

It's been two years since an in-person acapalooza event due to the coronavirus pandemic, and Treble in Paradise came back more prepared than ever to host this year’s “Discopalooza” March 19. 

They even invited the University of Connecticut’s a cappella group The Rolling Tones to join them in the showcase. 

Acapalooza is an annual showcase hosted by Treble every year with a different theme. This year’s theme was “Disco.”

At Discopalooza, Treble sang “Pretty Please” by Dua Lipa, “breathin” and “Side To Side” by Ariana Grande and “Angels Like You” by Miley Cyrus. All of Treble’s songs are ordered and arranged by Saxon Kropp, a junior in the Kogod School of Business and the music director of the group. 

Alongside The Rolling Tones and Treble in Paradise, AU a cappella groups On a Sensual Note, Dime a Dozen and TenLi Tunes attended Discopalooza as well.

As a brief intermission from singing, Treble proposed a beat boxing competition between the performers at the event as well. One member from each of the attending groups was given a chance to show off their skills and the winner was chosen by whoever was cheered for the loudest. At the end of the competition, it was Hanish Immanuel from Dime a Dozen left standing. 

Cat Cantelmo, a junior at the University of Connecticut and the president of The Rolling Tones, explained that she was looking for venues to get The Rolling Tones back to performing after the pandemic, and by some turn of events came across Treble in Paradise. 

“It is amazing,” Cantelmo said about being at Discopalooza. “We had to do a year of online rehearsals but now we are back in person performing again.” 

Lauren Sasson, a senior in the School of Communication at American University and president of Treble in Paradise, said she had not attended an acapalooza event since her freshman year. 

“It is truly incredible, there is really nothing like it,” Sasson said. 

Treble prepared for quite a bit of time to get Discopalooza going, and considering how the pandemic interrupted the last a cappella palooza, their work certainly paid off. Wrapped around each microphone were silver, sparkly strings which tied in the backdrop of the stage. Luminescent strands of glitter streamers paired with a multicolored pastel panel that had silver and gold balloons spelling out “Discopalooza.” 

Discopalooza could not have been more of a success for all the groups in attendance. After two strained years of little to no in-person performance, Discopalooza is the beginning of a slow return to normal for a cappella.  

kthompson@theeagleonline.com