sg candidates

Meet the spring 2022 student government executive branch candidates

SG elections begin Monday at 12 p.m.

American University Student Government elections begin Monday at 12 p.m. and run until Wednesday at 12 p.m. Voting is done through Campus Labs, and a link will be sent to students’ AU emails Monday. 

Candidates running for executive board positions answered The Eagle’s questions about their goals for the future of SG. All candidates were given the same questions and the opportunity to respond via email. The responses are below with candidates listed alphabetically by position.

Student body president candidates: Chyna Brodie and Kyra Thordsen

SG candidates.jpg

What vision do you want to bring to SG?

Brodie: “I want to form a student government that includes every voice at the table. When I became the second Black woman president of SG, I was determined to advocate for all of AU’s diverse communities, especially marginalized groups who are too often left behind. In just one year in office, I’ve attended countless BIPOC cultural events, stood in solidarity with students, spoken with BIPOC professors and advocated for dining workers on campus. I’m proud to show students that I have a proven track record of getting things done, and more than ever, we’re beginning to bridge the gap between SG and the communities who have historically felt most distanced from it.” 

Thordsen: “A year ago I couldn't find a place in SG I wanted to be a part of, a place free of toxicity and where leaders actually wanted to do something for students. Because of that, I built a space of my own through the SPA Undergraduate Council, which has grown from four to 40 members, planned over 16 events, written and produced a political review magazine and advocated on behalf of our student body on countless issues. A year ago, we didn't exist; today we're a thriving and growing organization. This is the vision of what student government should be: something that keeps the student community and its purpose in mind in everything it does. If elected, our community and our students will be at the center of every decision I make, as I work hard to build a student government that makes a noticeable difference in students' lives and that we can all be proud of.”

What is one main point you are advocating for?

Brodie: “Accessibility and accommodations—which are something we all should make improvements towards in our programming and policies. In my campaign platform, I said that ensuring students have the accommodations and equitable access to resources they need to succeed is not a privilege — it is a right. No student should have to decide between skipping a meal or paying for their laundry. That’s why it’s so important to lower costs and expand access to fundamental on-campus services.”

Thordsen: “We must prioritize service-oriented action. SG should work to serve its student body, and I am fighting for that through detailed Title IX policies, food security initiatives and support funds for survivors, as well as disabled, BIPOC and Indigenous students, to name a few. Plain and simple, our student government isn't fighting as hard as it should be for us right now, and I'm ready to change that.” 

What is your message to the student body?

Brodie: “My message is simple: I want to keep delivering for you. We’ve made so much progress this last year fighting for issues that matter the most to the AU student body, from addressing food insecurity to bringing our community closer together amidst a pandemic. I’m proud of all the work we’ve done so far, but I’m far from finished. Together, I know we can build on these efforts to create a better AU for everyone.”

Thordsen: “My message to the student body is a question: are we better off than we were a year ago? Our SG leaders work for us, and these elections are performance reviews. I have spent the past year putting on community-building events, working on advocacy initiatives and diversifying the curriculum within the School of Public Affairs; all without the stipend provided to SG Executives. When I'm elected I'll work hard to do the same for the entire AU community. We deserve a leader who will listen to and fight for us not because they're being paid, but because they value and want to improve our community.” 

Vice president candidate: Jonathan Durham

Jonathan_Durham.jpg

What vision do you want to bring to student government?

Durham: “I hope to bring a different mindset and approach to how we conduct ourselves as leaders in student government. I want to stray away from petty infighting and advocate and represent the greater student body, especially under the lens of programming.”

Durham: “One of the main points that I will be advocating for throughout my term is bringing back a sense of community on campus when it comes to programming. This can be achieved by reassessing outreach approaches, more transparent communication between SG and the student body and ensuring accessibility to all events.”

Durham: “We have all the tools in which we need to continue making AU a school where all of us can call it our home, and a school where we can all feel connected. I am ready to serve the position to my fullest ability.”

Secretary candidate: Coleman Maxwell

Coleman_Maxwell.jpg

Maxwell: “My vision for the student government is one that works. An organization that aggressively advocates for, clearly communicates on behalf of and effectively elevates the student body.”

Maxwell: “Clear communication has been absent from SG for too long. Once elected, my primary focus will be establishing a method that will effectively allow me to clearly communicate with all students on campus. This will include updating the SG website and having a more direct means of getting in touch with the Secretary and his team instead of just using email.”

What is your message for the student body? 

Maxwell: “You deserve a student government that advocates for you and does so aggressively. Make your voice heard, vote and do not stop holding SG accountable.”

Comptroller candidate: Logan Galimi 

Logan_Galimi.jpg

Galimi: “I plan to continue and expand student government’s mission to promote and practice financial transparency within the organization.”

Galimi: “I want to advocate for and offer my assistance in increasing financial transparency within the University budget process.”

Galimi: “I am interested in being your SG Comptroller because I think my experience in finance, management and advocacy will ultimately prove beneficial for the student body. I have very little interest in the student politics of SG, and strongly believe in policymaking over politics.”

aturner@theeagleonline.com and vtsang@theeagleonline.com