study playlist

The perfect study playlist for cold winter days

A calming playlist ideal for cozy study sessions

With the semester back in full swing, many students are struggling to get back into their regular routines. The Eagle has created the perfect solution for kicking winter cabin fever and getting back into a mindful study routine. From lo-fi sounds to bright tracks, this Spotify playlist will keep spirits up and productivity high.

Here are some favorites:

“Liability” – Lorde

The chorus of Lorde’s “Liability” gently lulls the listener into a clear and relaxing headspace that makes it ideal for studying. Listening to the dramatic tone of Lorde’s voice amid an intense study session calms the nerves and focuses the mind in a way that only Lorde can. In fact, each song on Lorde’s “Melodrama” album creates a similar mindset and is just as perfect for studying.

“Jolene” – Ray LaMontagne

This acoustic song turns any study space into a serene atmosphere . The lyrics create a melancholy image with phrases such as “Lately my hands don't feel like mine” and “my eyes been stung with dust, I’m blind.” LaMontagne’s lyricism creates an environment for a tranquil study session. His voice blends seamlessly between one song and the next, allowing for listening free of disruption.

“Strangers By Nature” – Adele

Resembling the calming sounds of the opening tracks of a nature documentary, “Strangers By Nature” is the quintessential study song. Adele’s unique voice compliments the soothing sounds of the song with long, soft notes. In particular, her sliding note changes in phrases such as “I’ll pay respects and say I’m sorry,” and her style of doing so calms and focuses the mind in a way that only Adele can. 

“Half of Something Else” – The Airborne Toxic Event

The contrast between the chorus and the verses of this song are interesting enough to maintain focus, but not so much that it becomes distracting. The rough voice of the singer, in contrast with the quiet verses, blends beautifully between the rest of the songs on the playlist. All the while, the strong entrance of lyrics like “The way that you screamed/the way that you cried,” are the solution for any sleeping studiers who may need a wake-up call to refocus.

“Wasteland, Baby!” – Hozier

There is nothing like the gentle melody of a Hozier song to settle the mind. His raspy but strong voice never ceases to provide the best background music for any task, especially studying. Melodic lines such as, “Happens each time a boy falls in love with a girl/Happens grace/Happens sweet/Happily, I’m unfazed here too,” allow listeners and students alike to enter an uplifting state of sheer calm and focus. 

“Angela” – The Lumineers

The fast paced nature of this song, mixed with its gentle verses, helps draw focus to the task at hand, rather than letting the mind wander toward distractions. The Lumineers have a unique storytelling ability that makes time move a little faster. Their entire “Cleopatra” album is riddled with beautiful, lyrical stories that help studying feel less like a chore and more like a movie. 

“All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)” – Taylor Swift

While this song can be an emotional rollercoaster for some listeners, it acts as a lyrical timer for getting 10 minutes of studying done without a break. As this track comes on, students can hunker down to complete at least 10 minutes of distraction-free studying and feel accomplished at the end as Taylor Swift’s, “It was rare, I was there, I remember it all too well” fades out. 

The Eagle hopes that this playlist keeps the studying blues away, all the while enveloping its listeners in a bubble of peaceful studying. This balance between perfectly blended tracks and upbeat choruses is a fool-proof recipe for a successful studying session. So open up your laptop, get your headphones out and happy listening.

jbird@theeagleonline.com