AUSG-01.PNG

Students show support for mandatory testing, in-person classes in SG special election

Majority of voting students also favor current dining safety protocols and increased dining options

American University students voted in favor of referendums on mandatory testing, in-person classes, adequate dining safety and the need for more dining options in a Student Government Special COVID-19 Referendum Election

The election comes after the Undergraduate Senate passed four referendums pertaining to the University’s coronavirus policy during a meeting Sunday. 988 students voted in the special election, SG announced in an email to students Thursday.

Of the 931 students who voted on question one, about 70 percent favored some form of mandatory testing.

This comes after a petition from the Disabled Student Union calling for required testing reached over 1,600 signatures.

Additionally, of the 981 students who voted, approximately 76 percent voted in favor of in-person learning. Of those who voted in-favor, 61 percent voted that fall 2021 safety precautions were adequate, while others voted that more safety precautions are needed for the return to in-person classes.

SG released a statement Wednesday reiterating the University’s email that class will return to in-person instruction on Jan. 31.

Of the 708 students who voted, just over 63 percent of students voted that the fall 2021 dining safety protocols have been adequate.  

Lastly, of the 733 students who voted, 78 percent said that dining options have, so far, been inadequate.

In response to this result, the Undergraduate Senate is hosting a Dining Advocacy Town Hall. Students will receive an email in the coming weeks with more information, SG announced in an email to the student body. 

The results of the special election do not ensure that the University will make the changes students were in favor of.

aturner@theeagleonline.com

Correction: A previous version of this story contained an erroneous headline that suggested a majority of students favored the passed resolutions, rather than majority of students who voted.