DEI-logo.png

November DEI Report: The Eagle to open applications for spring semester Dec. 6

The paper is working to further diversify staff and coverage

The Eagle’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee met Wednesday to discuss recruitment strategies for the upcoming semester as well as how to increase and diversify coverage.

Following Thanksgiving break, The Eagle will begin recruiting staffers for the spring semester, Editor-in-Chief Clare Mulroy announced Wednesday.

Staff applications will open on Dec. 6 and will close on Dec. 20. The link to the application will be available on The Eagle’s website as well as on the paper’s social media accounts.

DEI group members and other paper staff are preparing to contact interested students of all years and majors. Members will also contact professors to pass on application information to their students.

The group also discussed positions on the paper that could be added to increase coverage of the various communities at American University and in D.C. During the application process, managing editors are looking to expand El Águila as well as the role of the culture beat reporter in the news section. 

Editors will also place a special emphasis on hiring social media editors for the online section and sports reporters. For the spring semester, the sports section will prioritize sports culture reporting and multimedia projects.

Mulroy also announced that the fall print edition of the paper will be distributed on campus Dec. 3. A QR code for the spring application will be included on newspaper stands.

ikravis@theeagleonline.com