DEI-logo.png

The Eagle will open applications for the summer and fall semesters Friday

Positions are available in all seven of the paper’s departments, and The Eagle is looking to expand El Águila

General staff applications for the summer and fall semesters will open on April 23 and close on May 14, The Eagle recently announced. The application will be released on the paper’s website and via its social media accounts.

The Eagle is looking to fill openings in all seven of its departments and applicants can designate their top three choices for specific positions within the Online, Multimedia, Copy, News, Sports, Opinion and Life departments.

The paper is also looking to recruit reporters, writers and copy editors to further expand its new Spanish initiative, El Águila, and will add a managing editor for the section.

Following a recruitment round that produced a younger and more diverse staff for this spring, The Eagle’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion group will follow a similar strategy as they did last fall.

Members of the group have already begun contacting professors across all of American University’s schools, including first-year students, first-year advisors and campus clubs and organizations.

The DEI group is also in the process of creating, printing and posting posters announcing this round of recruitment in buildings across campus, members said during a recent meeting.

After applications open on April 23, interested students will have three weeks to turn in their completed application before the 11:59 p.m. EST deadline on May 14.

In other news, DEI group members spoke about internal changes that incoming Editor-in-Chief Clare Mulroy may wish to implement, like cross-section pitching to ensure that The Eagle covers more important stories.

The group also expects that the first print edition of El Águila –– funded by a grant from the SOC –– will be delivered to campus and distributed beginning on April 23.

On Thursday, the DEI group hosted a virtual game night for staffers as a way to build community ahead of finals week.

gferris@theeagleonline.com