Tik Tok Pasta.jpg

TikTok’s viral recipes every foodie needs to try

A round-up of the five most iconic cooking and baking ideas currently dominating “food TikTok”

If you’ve spent any amount of time on TikTok, chances are you’ve heard about viral recipes like baked feta pasta. 

There are many “sides” to TikTok: fashion, music, fitness, cinematography, pets and more. All of these are based on the app’s algorithm that places videos on your feed specifically catered to your interests, creating a “For You Page.” No matter what side of TikTok you’re on, the most mouth-watering videos to appear on the feed are from “food TikTok.” Let’s take a look at some delicious viral recipes that foodies are obsessed with at the moment, whether they are simple, aesthetically pleasing or creative.

Baked Feta Pasta

This simple baked feta pasta recipe, originally created by @liemessa and popularized on TikTok by @grilledcheesesocial, has dominated the app over the past few weeks. All it takes is feta, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, basil, a pasta of your choice and 35 minutes to bake. The results are irresistable: a restaurant-worthy dish with the perfect combination of creamy feta cheese and textured tomatoes. #Fetapasta has now accumulated over 577.7 million views on TikTok, and several variations of the original recipe have been made, including this veganized version, one with shrimp or with mushrooms. 

Birria Tacos 

Birria is a Mexican dish originally made with goat meat that is served as a stew or filling with tacos. These unique and delicious looking tacos captivated TikTok, inspiring thousands of users to try out the recipe while adding their own touch. While cooking birria is a more daunting task than the baked feta pasta or another “easy” TikTok recipe, the end product seems to be well worth the effort. Just be aware, cook times can vary between two and four hours depending on the recipe — although one user says their “cheat version” takes 30 minutes. And for those with dietary restrictions: there are plenty of vegan and vegetarian recipes available. 

“Revolutionary Wrap”

This quick, easy, versatile wrap hack is truly revolutionary (hence the name TikTok users have given it) for those of us who don’t like to spend too much time in the kitchen, and it has taken over “food TikTok” all throughout January and February. The process is simple: cut a slit in a tortilla, divide your favorite ingredients into four quarters, fold and cook! TikTok users found a way to simplify just about any type of meal using this technique: some favorites are cheeseburgers, pizza, this Nutella dessert, breakfast sandwiches, and of course, a vegan version with avocado, sweet potato, tofu, hummus and pesto. 

Famous Vodka Sauce

Originally made famous by model Gigi Hadid when posted on her Instagram story, this spicy vodka sauce recipe went viral in fall 2020 and hasn’t lost popularity on TikTok since. All it takes is a few pantry staples including red onion, garlic, tomato paste, heavy cream, parmesan cheese and basil! The sauce looks absolutely delicious, and it is a clear must-have if you are a vodka pasta lover.

Minimalist Cakes

Picnics have been more popular than ever during the pandemic because they provide a way for people to gather relatively safely — outside and six feet apart. TikTok users have made a trend out of picnicking, (check out the thousands of “aesthetically pleasing” picnic setups) and the centerpiece in so many of them is none other than a small, minimalist cake. TikTok bakers are creating easy tutorials for you to create delightful treats that are pleasing both to look at and taste. To become a real TikTok trend-follower, use a wine glass to slice and eat the cake out of on your picnic, or recreate this charcuterie board to bring along.

Whether you’re an avid TikTok user or you haven’t even downloaded the app, hopefully these ideas can provide a starting point for some fun, creative and easy dishes. And for more, head over to “food TikTok,” which has much more to offer than just these five recipes. Happy cooking!

mkett@theeagleonline.com