Image from iOS.jpg

Stacey Abrams, famed voting rights activist, to speak during Founders Week

Abrams is widely credited with helping Democrats retake the Senate after founding nonprofit Fair Fight

Activist and politician Stacey Abrams will join the Kennedy Political Union and Women’s Initiative as a keynote speaker on Monday, Feb. 22 as a part of the 2021 Founders Week. 

The conversation will kick off a weeklong schedule of events, including an additional speaker who has yet to be announced, an a cappella concert and a fundraiser for food insecurity. 

Abrams rose to political fame after a contentious race for the Georgia governorship in 2018, which she narrowly lost. She previously served in the Georgia House of Representatives for 10 years, where she was the minority leader. She recently founded Fair Fight, a nonprofit organization that advocates for fair elections and voter participation throughout the country.

“Abrams is a great speaker to bring for Founders Week because she is an advocate for youth voter turnout and political participation,” said Jenna Whitaker, the director of this year’s Founders Week. 

The discussion, which will be moderated by Washington College of Law professor Lia Epperson, will focus on a variety of topics, including voting rights reform and the role of Black female voters in the 2020 election cycle, according to a press release. 

Abrams has received wide recognition in past months for her role in registering disenfranchised voters and as a key political organizer in Georgia during the 2020 election cycle and is widely credited for helping Democrats retake the Senate. 

Abrams previously spoke at AU’s spring 2019 commencement, addressing the School of Public Affairs. She also received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from the University. 

As previously stated, the event will be held on Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. on Zoom. Registration will be free for all AU students. 

bjohansen@theeagleonline.com, ohiggins@theeagleonline.com