coffee.jpeg

Six coffee recipes for every type of coffee drinker and coffee machine

Did somebody say homemade pumpkin cream cold brew?

If you miss popping into your favorite campus coffee shop between classes for that mid-morning caffeine boost, you’re not alone. Branching out and trying new types of coffee between virtual classes can be hard, especially if you’re trying to mimic that freshly-brewed café flavor. 

No one can blame you for not having that top-notch commercial espresso machine on your counter, but if you love caffeine as much as the next stressed college student, chances are you own one of the five different types of basic coffee makers: stovetop coffee/espresso maker, drip coffee machine, single-serve capsule coffee maker, French press or pour-over coffee maker. Each one serves a different purpose and creates a different type of brew. 

Whether you have been swearing by your French press for years or just bought a Keurig, here are six easy coffee recipes for each piece of equipment. Although some recipes require milk, it can be swapped with your favorite dairy-free alternative.

For the chocolate lovers with a single-serve capsule coffee maker, make this caffè mocha.

A caffè mocha, also called mochaccino or mocha, is a chocolate-flavored latte. Mochas are easy to make on your own because they require few ingredients and little time. You can simplify this chocolatey drink by combining a pod of single-serve hot chocolate with your favorite single-serve dark roast, and save whatever doesn’t fit in your favorite mug for an iced mocha the next day. Making a caffè mocha is a great way to experiment with the best chocolate-to-coffee ratio that suits your taste.

If you’re an avid French press user, drink this French press chai latte.

In less than 10 minutes, you could be sipping on your own coffee-infused chai latte. With minimal ingredients needed, this is the perfect fall drink for the French press advocate who wants to change their morning coffee routine. Although this is not a traditional style chai, French pressing chai into coffee really brings out the flavor of the chai spices. If you love tea and are just starting to experiment into the realm of coffee, this drink is a great place to start.

This Spanish café con leche recipe is a must try with your stovetop coffee or espresso maker.

Although a stovetop espresso maker is not technically espresso according to the Italian Espresso National Institute, it still makes an incredibly dark pot of coffee that is the perfect base for this café con leche. This recipe can also be used with a Nespresso machine or any type of espresso maker. The bold flavor of the coffee in this drink really compliments the creaminess of the milk. Café con leche is popular in Spain for a reason — it’s delicious and easy to throw together before your morning class.

Do you have a drip coffee maker? Try making a cup of Japanese-style iced coffee.

Despite what some may say, iced coffee can be enjoyed year round. Japanese-style iced coffee is brewed directly onto ice, causing it to chill rapidly. Brewing coffee onto ice creates a fuller-bodied ice coffee compared to traditional ice coffee, mimicking the flavor of a cold brew without waiting for six to 12 hours for a cup. Try this recipe if you’re looking for a change in your drip coffee or are looking for a different flavor profile from your iced coffee.

If you’re trying to up your pour-over game, experiment with Vietnamese iced coffee.

Vietnamese coffee has a stronger taste, creates a thicker brew and typically involves some over-roasted beans. It has a very sweet and distinctive flavor, thanks to the addition of sweetened condensed milk. Vietnamese coffee is very easy to make and can be done using a pour over coffee maker. If you typically enjoy a black coffee to really wake you up, try making a Vietnamese coffee when you are in need of a caffeine boost and are craving a sweet treat after lunch.

If you’re looking for something sweet for these warm fall days, attempt this at-home Starbucks pumpkin cream cold brew.

TikTok has become a great place to look for new coffee recipes since instant whipped coffee went viral at the start of the pandemic. Because cold brew can be made without a coffee maker or purchased from the store (like the video tutorial shows), anyone can enjoy this drink. This Starbucks copy-cat drink may be even better than the original because it can be customized to your liking. If you want to take this fall beverage to another level, try making your own vanilla syrup and experiment with different spices. 

Although experimenting with coffee can seem like an intimidating venture, it doesn’t have to be. These recipes were picked for their simplicity and versatility, meant to inspire a new coffee drink when your average cup of joe just won't cut it. 

ewalsh@theeagleonline.com