AU Athletics.JPG

Reports: Patriot League expected to scratch 2020 non-conference basketball schedule

Amid pandemic, PL becomes second Division I conference to push back season to 2021

The Patriot League is expected to cancel non-conference basketball games in 2020 due to concerns based on the coronavirus pandemic, according to reports from ESPN and college basketball reporter Jon Rothstein. This comes after the conference’s decision to cancel its fall sports season in July.

The Eagle has not independently corroborated these reports.

AU Athletics was unable to provide a statement per department policy, as the Patriot League has not made an official announcement regarding the status of the basketball season. The Patriot League did not respond to The Eagle’s emailed request for comment.

Men’s and women’s programs in the Patriot League are still expected to play an 18-game conference schedule starting in January 2021. Due to a service academy exemption, both Army and Navy will be allowed to appeal to play a non-conference schedule.

The Patriot League is just the second DI conference to call off non-conference games as a public safety measure. The Ivy League announced its decision to postpone athletics across all sports over the summer. 

Power Five conference teams are currently modifying their non-conference schedules to adjust to travel restrictions and an NCAA-mandated Nov. 25 start date to the college basketball season.

Eight of the 10 Patriot League schools with men’s and women’s basketball programs have posted on social media that they’ve begun practicing, with AU and Lafayette College as the lone holdouts. 

jkolodny@theeagleonline.com