Stock Photo of Mary Graydon Center

54 members of the AU community have tested positive for COVID-19

University has created a web page to track cases

This article has been updated since its last update on April 7. This article will continue to be updated each week as more cases are reported.

American University has confirmed seven more members of the AU community that have tested positive for COVID-19 since last week, bringing the University total up to 54 as of April 28. 

The University has created a web page dedicated to keeping track of confirmed cases. According to the page, 53 of the confirmed cases are off-campus and one is on-campus.

In an email to the campus community on April 13, President Sylvia Burwell thanked health care workers for their efforts to control the spread of COVID-19 and provided a list of public relief sources for students, faculty and staff.

"While we see signs of progress in the amazing efforts by our health care workers to control the pandemic and help those affected by COVID-19, we are still traveling a difficult road," Burwell said in the email. "Coping with that reality every day is trying for all of us." 

This article will be updated as more information becomes available.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

American University confirmed four more cases of COVID-19 in the AU community, bringing the University total up to five, the University Medical Director David Reitman announced via email Friday afternoon. Three of the new cases are students and one is an AU alum who attended an off-campus KPU event, according to KPU director Kevin Norton. 

This confirmation come four days after the first case of COVID-19 was reported on Monday.

According to the email, all three students live off campus. However, two of them were tested at the Student Health Center. Two of the students traveled to Spain during spring break, and the other traveled within the U.S. All of the confirmed cases are currently self-isolating in their homes outside of the Washington, D.C. region.

Reitman said that the University is continuing its efforts to clean public areas, assist students in the move-out process of the residence halls and encourage the AU community to adhere to CDC guidelines.

“We know this is difficult, but if we all take the appropriate steps and precautions, we can help limit the impact of this virus,” Reitman said.