Thirty-three members of the AU community have tested positive for COVID-19

University has created a web page to track cases

Mary Graydon Center (MGC) 

This article has been updated since its last  update on March 31.This article will be continue to be updated each week as more cases are reported.

American University has confirmed nine more members of the AU community that have tested positive for COVID-19 since last week, bringing the University total up to 33 as of April 7. 

The University has created a web page on Monday dedicated to keeping track of confirmed cases. According to the page, 32 of the confirmed cases are off-campus and one is on-campus.

In an email to the AU community on March 23, President Sylvia Burwell said that she will continue to update the AU community each week on the University’s efforts to support students, faculty and staff, as they learn and work remotely. She also said that she is working to address concerns about commencement and grading for online classes.

“These are important and personal matters, and I understand your need for information,” Burwell said in the email. “They are also complex, and our teams are working through all the pieces so we can provide answers and next steps. I appreciate your patience while we do the necessary work, and we will share updates as soon as possible.”

This article will be updated as more information becomes available.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

American University confirmed four more cases of COVID-19 in the AU community, bringing the University total up to five, the University Medical Director David Reitman announced via email Friday afternoon. Three of the new cases are students and one is an AU alum who attended an off-campus KPU event, according to KPU director Kevin Norton. 

This confirmation come four days after the first case of COVID-19 was reported on Monday.

According to the email, all three students live off campus. However, two of them were tested at the Student Health Center. Two of the students traveled to Spain during spring break, and the other traveled within the U.S. All of the confirmed cases are currently self-isolating in their homes outside of the Washington, D.C. region.

Reitman said that the University is continuing its efforts to clean public areas, assist students in the move-out process of the residence halls and encourage the AU community to adhere to CDC guidelines.

“We know this is difficult, but if we all take the appropriate steps and precautions, we can help limit the impact of this virus,” Reitman said.

More from The Eagle