Constitution Hall stock.JPG

Congressional Hall to be renamed Duber Hall

University received multi-million dollar contributions from Board of Trustees

Congressional Hall is set to receive a new name after current and former AU Board of Trustees members donated a multi-million dollar gift to the University, President Sylvia Burwell said in an email to the AU community on Friday morning.

The residence hall will be renamed Duber Hall in recognition of Marc Duber, chair of the AU Board of Trustees (Kogod/BSBA ‘81), and Nancy Duber (CAS/BGS ‘82). Duber also serves as the executive vice president and chief operating officer of The Bernstein Companies, D.C.’s oldest real estate investment and development firm.

“Nancy and I are proud to support new generations of AU students making this campus their home,” Duber said in the press release. “We hope that students on East Campus today are inspired to make the most of their time here—whether by joining student clubs, working in the MakerSpace next door or forming friendships with their hallmates.”

The lobby of Duber Hall will also be renamed the Bernstein Lobby in honor of former Board of Trustees member Stuart Bernstein (Kogod/BA ‘60), who served as ambassador to Sweden from 2001 to 2005, and Wilma Bernstein (CAS/BA ‘60). Bernstein served as one of AU’s longest tenured trustees, which earned him the distinction of trustee emeritus.

According to University spokesperson Kelly Alexander, both the University and the donors decided not to disclose the exact amount of the donation.

This announcement comes shortly after donations from Jack and Denise Cassell and Alan and Denise Meltzer totalling $10 million were made in support of a new athletic facility and a fellowship at the Center for Israel Studies.