Kristen Largay

AU Volleyball bests Bucknell on All-American Weekend

Eagles sweep the Bison for third straight win

AU’s volleyball team has propelled itself to a 3-1 conference start as the Eagles swept the Bucknell Bison in three sets on All-American Weekend. 

Despite a better record, Bucknell (12-4) got sent home quickly from Bender Arena as AU (10-7) dominated from the get-go. It was their second sweep of the weekend, as they beat Lehigh 3-0 on Friday night.

Senior Libero Kristen Largay was key in the team’s stout defensive efforts with a game-high 18 digs. 

“We were able to stick with them, and then stick with them in hard situations,” Largay said. “That’s what I’m most proud of.”

AU started hot, opening up the first set 7-2 before Bucknell tied it up at 12-12. Much of the first set was trading points back and forth. 

Freshman outside hitter Zeynep Uzen lead the match with 13 kills, while hitting at an elite clip of .357. Uzen was crucial for the Eagles’ offense, helping her team find the consistency they advertised earlier in the set.

The second set started similarly to the first, with a quick 6-3 start by AU that prompted Bucknell to burn an early timeout. Suddenly, the score was 12-3 AU and Bucknell was spending its final timeout of the set.

Head coach Barry Goldberg said he was impressed with his team’s attacking throughout – AU hit .327 for the match, while Bucknell hit just over half of that.

“When all three of your outside hitters are hitting the ball well, that’s the best thing you can ask for,” Goldberg said.

The third set stayed close with both sides stealing the lead repeatedly, but AU toughed out a 25-21 victory to sweep the Bison.

Despite coaching to a 3-0 victory, Goldberg is convinced Bucknell will be a major player in the Patriot League and has the ability to easily make the playoffs.

“They’re getting more and more competitive, and they’re a team to watch,” Goldberg said.

Volleyball hosts Navy, whom AU went 2-1 against last season, on Oct. 12.

draju@theeagleonline.com