Volleyball fall 2018

Volleyball beats Colgate 3-1 in a triumphant comeback

The first-set loss didn’t keep the Eagles down for long

AU volleyball defeated the Colgate University Raiders on Sunday. AU (11-9, 6-0 PL) last met with Colgate in November 2017, and the Eagles dominated a three-set game, closing out the Raiders 3-0.

The game opened with a wave of intensity as AU gained a lead with junior middle blocker Vela McBride’s block, plus a spike that ended an early tie-breaker by senior middle blocker Loren McKenzie. The Raiders overtook the lead for the rest of the first set, winning 21-25. The Eagles retaliated, winning the second set 25-20 and the third set 25-22. The team’s momentum kept flowing on the court during the fourth set, in which they scored 25-23 and won the game.

The game was packed with powerful plays, especially those executed by senior outside hitter Aleksandra Kazala, who tied the game at 21 points in the third set. McKenzie’s subsequent block let AU take the lead.

Entering the match, Kazala held a record of 233 kills with a 3.48 kill per set rate, holding the highest kills and kills per set on the team. Kazala finished Sunday’s game with 243 kills and 3.42 kills per set.

Kazala embraced her success but nonetheless paid respects to the rest of the team: “My teammates are playing good enough that I can get those kills,” she said.“This is a team sport and everybody works for it.”

Senior setter Kennedy Etheridge totaled 50 assists in Sunday’s game alone, which left her with 627 assists overall.

The Eagles will play at Lehigh University at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, and they will return to Bender Arena Friday to play Army West Point at 7 p.m.

cgreen@theeagleonline.com