WSOC Emily Smith

AU women’s soccer ties against Boston in double overtime

Eagles open up Patriot League play with 1-1 tie against BU, led behind Brown’s 15 saves

The AU women’s soccer team began Patriot League play with a double-overtime draw against the Boston University Terriers Sunday at Reeves Field. The Eagles entered the game with a 5-1-2 record, and with this tie, they remain unbeaten at home.

AU struck first with an early penalty kick in the first minute. Senior Yari Bradfield took the shot, putting it away for her sixth goal of the season. Boston would answer quickly with a goal from Anna Heilferty in the eighth minute, assisted by Chelsea Churchill. These were the only goals of the day for either side.

Entering halftime, Boston out-shot AU 8-3. In the second half, both teams totaled 16 shots, but none found their way to the back of the net AU’s sophomore goalkeeper, Kyleigh Brown, made eight saves in the second half. Boston outshot the Eagles 11-5.

When the game entered overtime, the Terriers dominated offensive possession of the ball. They outshot the Eagles 6-0 in extra time. The Terriers’ Chloee Sagmoe nearly gave Boston the lead off of a header in the closing seconds of the first overtime, but Brown saved the shot on goal. Brown finished the match with 15 saves, a career-high. It was her seventh start in the net this year.

Even though the Eagles were outshot 25-8, they were able to open up conference play with the 1-1 tie, earning the team a point.

“Starting strong was really important for us, especially against a good, strong BU team,” said head coach Anabel Hering. “Obviously, protecting our home field and getting something from it helps us to stay strong and work hard together.”

While they did not score after the opening minute, Hering said the Eagles’ defensive approach was “very strong” and that the team will work to be “a little bit more calm and patient in the final third and to attack in transition.”

“We weren’t really playing our game [at the end] and gave the ball away too much, so we’ll focus on that a little more,” Hering added.

AU will be at home again on Saturday, Sept. 22 at 2 p.m. for another Patriot League matchup against a struggling Bucknell team.

“It’s mostly going to be recovery for the beginning of the week because a lot of our key players play a lot of minutes in double overtimes, but also focusing on things we’ve been doing well in being successful already this season,” Hering said.

mhashash@theeagleonline.com