DKA Film festival

District Cinema Student Film Festival set to be held at AU Saturday

Event sponsored by Delta Kappa Alpha hopes to connect student filmmakers in DMV region

The District Cinema Student Film Festival begins this Saturday, April 21 at American University, showcasing student filmmakers in the DMV region. The festival gives awards to exceptional films in categories that include music video, documentary, experimental, comedy and drama.

The screenings will be held at two different venues. The honorable mentions will be shown at 12:30 p.m. in the Wechsler Theater in the Mary Graydon Center, and the award-winning films will be shown in the Doyle-Forman Theater in the McKinley building at 7:30 p.m.

The event is sponsored by Delta Kappa Alpha, Nu chapter, AU’s resident co-ed professional film fraternity.

“The festival has been around for about two years,” said Jacqueline Bennett, a member of DKA and director of the festival.

She said that the purpose of the festival is to create opportunities for student filmmakers and foster a relationship between students and the fraternity. Bennett also notes that some of the students honored at the festival have gone on to work on bigger projects.

“It's really about students not only having their work shown, but putting them in contact with other filmmakers and talking with other people about it. We’re hoping to bridge that divide and bringing people in contact with the fraternity as well,” Bennett said.

bermer@theeagleonline.com