"Spirited Away" is one of many films being shown as part of the Studio Ghibli Collection Film Series.

The Studio Ghibli Collection Film Series

After those stressful midterms, go out and enjoy some anime

Landmark Theatres is currently hosting the Studio Ghibli Collection Film Series from March 17 to May 6. The film series is an annual survey of Studio Ghibli films, a prize-winning Japanese animation studio founded by the visionary director Hayao Miyazaki. The series will feature eight films from 1984 to 2014 and will run for eight weeks at three different cinemas around the DMV: E StreetWest End and Bethesda Row

Washingtonians have the opportunity to experience a genre they love or haven’t experienced before. Showings are Saturdays and Sundays at 10:30 a.m. Saturday showings are in English while Sunday showings are in Japanese with English subtitles.

For showtimes and additional information, you can visit Landmark Theatres Website.  

Upcoming showings:

“Howl’s Moving Castle” (2005)

Sophie is a teenage girl working at a hat shop when she meets a handsome and mysterious wizard named Howl. Subsequently, she is turned into a 90-year-old woman by the Wicked Witch of the Waste. She finds refuge in Howl’s castle while he tries to bring peace to his kingdom. This film is based on the novel by Diana Wynne Jones.

Where to view:

E Street Cinema April 14 and 15

West End Cinema April 28 and 29

“Princess Mononoke” (1997)

Based on a Japanese folklore that tells the story of the young warrior, Ashitaka. Ashitaka spends his time defending his remote mountain village from a demonic boar-god who has cursed Ashitaka -- a curse that gave him superhuman powers, but will ultimately take his life. He travels west hoping to find a cure at the sacred depths of the Great Forest where he meets San, the Princess Mononoke, a girl raised by wolf gods. It is an epic story of conflict between humans, gods and nature.

Where to view:

E Street Cinema April 28 and 29

Bethesda Row Cinema March 31 and April 1

“Spirited Away” (2002)

The Academy Award-winning masterpiece centers around ten-year-old Chihiro, who has been separated from her parents and ends up in a dream-like spirit world where she is forced to work in the opulent, enigmatic bathhouse.

Where to view:

Bethesda Row Cinema April 14 and 15

West End Cinema March 31 and April 1

“Kiki’s Delivery Service” (1989)

A young, 13-year-old witch, Kiki, moves to the seaside with her chatty black cat Jiji to complete her training in accordance with her village’s traditions for witches. When she learns how to fly, she uses her broom to create a delivery service. But when she loses her gift of flight in a moment of self-doubt, she must overcome her uncertainty to gain her powers back. Both Kiki and Jiji embark on a life journey of independence. It’s a beautiful story of a young girl finding her way in the world.  

Where to view:

E Street Cinema April 21 and 22

West End Cinema May 5 and 6  

“Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind” (1984)

This film is considered by many to be Hayao Miyazaki’s masterpiece. It tells the story of a young princess, living in a world swarming with giant insects, whose love for all living things and passionate determination to understand the processes of nature leads to terrible danger, sacrifice and eventual triumph.

Where to view:

Bethesda Row Cinema April 21 and 22

West End Cinema April 7 and 8

“The Wind Rises” (2014)

Academy Award nominee for Best Animated Feature, this film is about Jiro Horikoshi, the engineer of many Japanese World War II fighter plane designs, who dreams of flying and designing airplanes. His passion is inspired by the famous Italian aeronautical designer Giovanni Battista Caproni. His life takes place during significant historical events like the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, the Great Depression, the tuberculosis epidemic and Japan’s plunge into WWII. Writer/director Miyazaki pays tribute to engineer Jiro Horikoshi and author Tatsuo Hori in this epic film.   

Where to view:

E Street Cinema May 5 and 6

Bethesda Row Cinema April 7 and 8

“My Neighbor Totoro” (1988)

In this enchanting story, Satsuke and her younger sister, Mei, move to a new house with their father as they await for their mother to get better from a terrible illness. While settling into the house, these two sisters discover some friendly spirits and adorable creatures from the nearby forest and befriend the huge teddy-bear-like creature, Totoro. This story is incredibly adorable yet has some dark undertones.  

Where to view:

E Street Cinema March 31 and April 1

West End Cinema April 14 and 15

Bethesda Row Cinema April 28 and 29

“Castle in the Sky” (1986)

This film is about the story of young orphan Sheeta who is kidnapped by Col. Muska and sentenced to military prison. While flying there, they are attacked by a gang of air pirates led by the Dola. Sheeta must join forces with fellow orphan Pazu to escape both Muska and the pirates. Along the way, after escaping the near air collision thanks to a magical crystal necklace around Sheeta’s neck, they discover the floating city of Laputa. It’s a great story about finding others who share experiences and the empowerment of working with others to stop evil forces.  

Where to view:

E Street Cinema April 7 and 8

West End Cinema April 21 and 22

Bethesda Row Cinema May 5 and 6

life@theeagleonline.com