Tarana Burke

#MeToo movement founder to speak at AU

Tarana Burke to receive award from Women’s Initiative

Tarana Burke, a civil rights activist and founder of the #MeToo movement, will speak at AU on Feb. 10, Women’s Initiative announced today.

Burke will receive Women Initiative’s Excellence in Activism award, which honors a person “who demonstrates commitment to transforming feminist practice into action,” according to a press release.

“I’m very excited to present Ms. Burke with the Excellence in Activism Award next week,” said Maureen Smith, the director of Women’s Initiative, in the release. “We are proud to foster this kind of conversation about activism and the #MeToo movement with our campus partners.”

Burke has dedicated most of her life to activism regarding sexual assault, most recently as the senior director of Girls for Gender Equity, a nonprofit based in Brooklyn, New York. The organization provides programs that educate young women of color.

Before Girls for Gender Equity, Burke founded Just Be Inc. in 2006. The organization also supports teens of color as they progress through their adolescent years.

In 2017, Tarana Burke was named TIME Person of the Year as part of a group the magazine called “The Silence Breakers.” Other members of the group include singer Taylor Swift, actress Ashley Judd and former Uber engineer Susan Fowler.

Burke is involved with the film industry as well, serving as an advisor for the film “Selma” and making an appearance at the 2018 Golden Globe Awards.

Burke will deliver a keynote address and answer students’ questions at 7 p.m. in the Tavern, located in the Mary Graydon Center. Students can reserve tickets on Eventbrite starting Feb. 1. 

The event is co-sponsored by Students Against Sexual Violence, the School of Communication, the Kennedy Political Union, the College of Arts and Sciences and Sister Sister AU.

ekhan@theeagleonline.com