Kimberly Rothberg

American University’s healthy food options remain limited

There aren’t enough choices for grab-and-go healthy food

Eating healthy in college is a challenge. On AU’s campus, with limited healthy options, that challenge is an unavoidable reality.

At AU, the chances of finding something healthy and filling are slim to none, with fried chicken tenders and pizza being the only choices in a time crunch. Mary Graydon Center has Einstein Bagels, Elevation Burger (burgers and milkshakes), Pi and Fry (fries and chicken tenders) and Global Fresh (a rotating feature station of various foods from different nations). The last option, and the only strictly ‘healthy’ one out of the five in MGC, is Freshii, with decent salads and bowls.

Freshii is not enough. We need more options. This could be a salad bar, healthy bowls or even a sandwich and wrap station. While AU has done a great job adding new study cafes on campus, like The Bridge, students are still in need of more healthy meal stations.

In a recent article by the Huffington Post, Dr. Alison Borkowska, a nutrition specialist from Pennsylvania State University, states that college students are “encountering levels of stress and scheduling that they’ve never experienced before. They’ve never had this many things to be responsible for, including putting food in their mouths.” The transition to college can be a challenging one, particularly in regard to eating healthy. Fortunately, a lack of healthy food options isn't too hard to solve. The solution is simply making healthy options more accessible to college students, and in the process, making the transition to college healthier.

American University has about 7,200 undergraduate students, according to AU’s website. College should be a place to grow and learn, an experience students may never have again. However, without easily accessible food options, it’s difficult to remain focused and healthy. It is the responsibility of the University to provide students with these options.

Kimberly Rothberg is a junior in the School of Communication.

opinion@theeagleonline.com