Greek Life Office

Beta Theta Pi and Chi Omega ordered to cease and desist

Greek organizations under investigation by Dean of Students Office

American University’s chapters of the fraternity Beta Theta Pi and sorority Chi Omega were both ordered to cease and desist by the Dean of Students Office on Oct. 19, according to AU’s public document reporting the chapter conduct status of recognized fraternities and sororities.

The order means that the organizations must immediately stop all chapter operations, including philanthropy or service events, recruitment activities, social events and chapter meetings while allegations of conduct violations are investigated by the University. No other active fraternities or sororities at AU are currently under cease and desist, according to the chapter status document.

Colin Gerker, AU’s assistant director of fraternity and sorority life, said in a Monday email that his office "does not handle organizational conduct." Emails sent to leaders of Beta Theta Pi and Chi Omega were not answered as of press time. AU’s Interfraternity Council also did not respond to a request for comment on the cease and desist order or how the council would move forward.

Lily Brown, president of AU Panhellenic Council, which represents social sororities, said in an email that the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, specifically Panhellenic, is not involved in the investigation process being conducted by the Dean of Students Office.

“We have no information on a timeline, any accusations or any possible sanctions,” Brown said, referring further questions to the dean’s office.

The office did not respond to a request for comment as of press time.

This article has been updated. 

hsamsel@theeagleonline.com