UK baseball head shots on August 28, 2013.

Photo by Britney McIntosh | UK Athletics

Sean Graham named American University track and field, cross country coach

Graham will replace long-time head coach Matt Centrowitz, Sr.

Sean Graham will be the new track and field and cross country coach at American University, Athletic Director Billy Walker announced Thursday. Graham served as an assistant coach for Matt Centrowitz, Sr. from 2009-2011 and 2012-2013 before spending the last four seasons as an assistant coach at the University of Kentucky. Graham also earned his MBA from the Kogod School of Business in 2011 while working as an assistant coach.

"I am tremendously excited to announce Sean as our new cross country and track head coach," Walker said in a press release. "Everyone he talked to during his visit to campus was thoroughly impressed with his sense of teamwork and his strong desire to be back at American University, where he earned his MBA.”

Graham has coached for eight years as an assistant coach and was an All-American runner collegiately at William & Mary. He competed professionally with the Nike Farm team and Nike Oregon Project Elite before beginning his coaching career.

While at Kentucky, he helped coach the team to two NCAA Cross Country Championship qualifiers, two NCAA indoor All-Americans, two NCAA outdoor All-Americans, six individual conference titles and five Kentucky School records.

Graham will replace Centrowitz, Sr., who announced he was stepping down as the head coach of AU’s running programs in May.

vsalandro@theeagleonline.com