Sarah Katz joins volleyball staff as assistant coach

Katz played for the Eagles from 2012-2015

2015 alumnus Sarah Katz has joined the AU volleyball coaching staff, the athletics department announced in a tweet Monday.

Katz was a two-time All-Academic Patriot League honoree and started over 50 games in her career with AU. As an outside hitter, Katz helped the Eagles claim three Patriot League Tournament titles and was part of the 2013 Sweet Sixteen team and the 2015 team which defeated Kentucky in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Katz finished her playing career with 602 kills, 408 digs and 122 blocks and was honored her senior season as American University’s female student-athlete of the year with the top GPA across all sports.

Katz served as a volunteer assistant during the 2016 season, helping the Eagles claim their 14th Patriot League championship.

Katz joins a coaching staff that includes Barry Goldberg, in his 29th season leading the Eagles, and Ahen Kim. Katz will replace former assistant coach Sarah Benson, who was named head coach of the George Washington University volleyball team this summer.

"We're happy to have Sarah join our coaching staff," Goldberg said in a press release. "She has a history of great success here at American University, and I know she will be a valuable asset to our program."

vsalandro@theeagleonline.com