May 1 Hate Crime

U.S. Attorney’s Office now involved in hate crime investigation

President's memo states D.C. branch will join other law enforcement agencies in investigation

The U.S. Attorney’s Office of the District of Columbia has joined the current investigation into the campus hate crime that occurred on May 1, according to a memo sent by University President Neil Kerwin on May 10.

The memo from Kerwin indicates that the U.S Attorney’s office will work with the Federal Bureau of Investigation to assist the American University Police Department in the investigation into what was deemed a racially motivated hate crime.

Bill Miller, the public information officer for the U.S Attorney’s office, confirmed with The Eagle that the District of Columbia branch was working in coordination with the FBI, campus police and the Metropolitan Police Department on the investigation. There was no further comment made as to the progress or details of the investigation.

Kelly Alexander, the director of public relations for the University, said the University would not give further comment on the investigation or the memo. However, Kerwin addressed the hate crime at all five commencement ceremonies during the weekend of May 12.

“An attack on any of us is an attack on all of us,” Kerwin said.

In his memo, Kerwin said that as soon as the University is able, officials will share more information about “important developments.”

Shortly after the incident on May 1, Public Safety released two videos of a person of interest on campus, stopping at various locations to hang bananas from nooses. The University has also offered a $1,000 reward to anyone who could provide further information in regards to the person of interest.

The University also dispatched AU police officers to the home of newly elected Student Government President Taylor Dumpson for her protection on May 4 after it became known that a white supremacist encouraged his followers to “troll her” online.

gbichinho@theeagleonline.com