Dunkin' Comes to Tenley

Dunkin' Donuts to open Tenleytown location

Students can expect the store to be open early 2017

*Correction appended

Dunkin’ Donuts is set to open a new location in the space formerly occupied by Bloo Moo Yogurt in Tenleytown in early 2017.

Construction at the location has begun and will continue leading up to the opening, according to Leigh Catherine Miles, the executive director of Tenleytown Main Street, a non-profit dedicated to improving and revitalizing the Tenleytown neighborhood.

"The recent success of new restaurants like Beefsteak, District Taco, and Tartufo, all of which opened in the last year, makes Tenleytown an attractive neighborhood for food retailers," Miles said in an email. "With more than 30 restaurants, ranging from casual coffee shops to international cuisine, there's a lot of diversity in our dining options."

Many students were disappointed to hear of Bloo Moo’s closing in April, as displayed by the varying comments on the initial Facebook post. However, Pete McEachern, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, was among the first of students who saw the Facebook post announcing the arrival of a Dunkin’ shop in late April.

“As someone who grew up in New England, I didn’t miss much, but one thing I did miss was Dunkin’ Donuts,” McEachern said.

Initially in April, a Baskin-Robbins was to accompany Dunkin Donuts’ in this space, according to the Tenleytown and Around Facebook page. However, it remains unclear, according to Miles, whether the ice cream store will come to Tenleytown or if construction will take place. The nearest Baskin Robbins is in Woodley Park.

“I’m so glad it’s finally here,” said McEachern. “It’s so much more convenient.”

Dunkin’ Donuts will open at 4530 Wisconsin Ave. NW.

ekhan@theeagleonline.com

Correction appended: The original story misquoted Miles in regards to why the Dunkin' Donuts was opening in Tenleytown. The story has been updated to include the accurate quote.