Concert preview: FIDLAR to perform at The Howard Theater Nov. 10

The L.A. skate punk band will be touring in support of its most recent album, “Too”

L.A. based skate-punk band FIDLAR will be playing the D.C. leg of its “Too Much” tour this Thursday. The band will perform at the Howard Theater and bring along opening bands SWMRS and The Frights. FIDLAR is touring in support of its most recent album, “Too.”

FIDLAR consists of vocalist and rhythm guitarist Zac Carper, bassist and backing vocalist Brandon Schwartzel, lead guitarist and backing vocalist Elvis Kuehn and drummer Max Kuehn.

The four members have been playing together as FIDLAR since 2009. Since then, they have released three EPs; “DIYDUI” in 2011, “Sh*t We Recorded In Our Bedroom” in 2012 and “Don’t Try” in 2012. They have also released two studio albums; “FIDLAR” in 2013 and “Too” in 2015. FIDLAR was named one of Stereogum’s 40 Best New Bands of 2012.

"DC's always been really good to us,” Zac Carper told the Eagle in an interview. “We've always had really good shows there and it seems like DC is the one [city] out of the east coast that really goes off."

The band has been compared to Wavves, The Orwells, Ty Segall, The Black Lips and Thee Oh Sees. Their most popular songs include “No Waves,” “40oz. On Repeat,” “West Coast” and “Cheap Beer.” In 2013, they collaborated with Nick Offerman to create a music video for the song, “Cocaine.”

In addition to touring and creating FIDLAR’s most recent album, Carper has had his hands full with other projects. He produced opening band SWMRS’ new album, “Drive North,” as well as The Frights’ new album, “You Are Going To Hate This.”

Members of SWMRS have said that Carper pushed them past their limits while he produced their record. In an interview with Canadian music blog AMBY, they said that “he found a way to abusively bring out the best in us.”

“Those guys are like family to me,” Carper said to The Eagle. “I’ll always work with them and support them. They’re extremely talented, they just drive me f------ insane sometimes– mainly because I pushed them harder than they're probably used to being pushed. It’s amazing that they let me do it. I feel like people in general don’t like getting out of their comfort zone. But that’s what making a record is about.”

Even through the mayhem of touring and producing music, Carper has recently started writing new material for FIDLAR.

Doors for Thursday’s show will open at 6:00 p.m. Tickets are available online for $20.

scene@theeagleonline.com