Police give all clear this afternoon after reports of hand grenade in Fort Reno park

911 call reported a hand grenade near Wilson High School

D.C. police responded to a report of a possible hand grenade near Wilson High School in Tenleytown Tuesday afternoon. No hazardous materials were found at the site, according to the Metropolitan Police Department’s Office of Public Information.

AU Public Safety alerted students that MPD and D.C. Fire & Emergency Medical Services were responding to a report of a possible hand grenade at Fort Reno Park in the 4600 block of 40th Street NW at 2:42 pm, and announced that police had given the all clear at 3:10 pm.

AU Police had seen multiple posts about the incident on social media and subsequently verified the incident prior to sending out the alert, according to AU Director of Public Relations Kelly Alexander.

The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team was called to respond to the situation, according to the Office of Public Information.

Both AU and D.C. police advised students to avoid the area while the situation was being investigated, and shuttle service was impacted for approximately 30 minutes. Shuttles were re-routed according to DC Police direction, turning left onto Albemarle Street from Fort Drive instead of making the loop toward Wilson High School onto 40th St NW, according to Alexander.

amammina@theeagleonline.com

Kate Magill contributed to this report.