SUB to bring comedians Vanessa Bayer, Mike Birbiglia and Streeter Seidell to AU

Comedians Vanessa Bayer, Mike Birbiglia and Streeter Seidell will perform at Student Union Board’s Jan. 27 comedy show in Bender Arena. This performance will be SUB’s first show of 2016.

Seidell, most notable for his screenwriting on “Saturday Night Live” and his work with CollegeHumor will open the show with a comedy set. After the opening, “SNL” member Bayer and comedy actor Birbiglia will take the stage and perform a comedy set.

Bayer has played popular “SNL” characters such as Miley Cyrus and Ryan Gosling’s fictional wife in the sketch “Santa Baby.” The 34-year-old Ohio native first began her career at SNL back in 2010.

Birbiglia will accompany Bayer in the performance as part of the show. Notable for such roles in “Orange is the New Black” and “The Fault in Our Stars,” Birbiglia has also taken part in a series of Comedy Central Specials. Similar to Bayer, Birbiglia also held a role in last summer’s comedy blockbuster Trainwreck.

“Last year's comedy show was so successful that we decided to step it up and take a show to bender,” Director of SUB Tam Sackman said. “As I've said in the past, comedy has been a mostly untapped entertainment resource for SUB, and though people may disagree on genres of music, everyone likes to laugh.”

In 2014, SUB’s comedy show performed by Broad City, took place in MGC’s Tavern. Similar comedic act Jessica Williams was in Bender Arena earlier this year, and the SUB show this spring will also be held in Bender.

Admission to the show is free. The show is only open to the AU students who present their student ID at the doors, which will open at 7 p.m.

zewell@theeagleonline.com

Correction: a previous version of this article said the comedians would perform at AU on Jan. 7. The comedians will perform on Jan. 27.