Photo Credit: AU Athletics and Blue Crew Leadership CouncilFreshman Emily Wolfe will take over as the new Blue Crew chairperson.

Building a family within Blue Crew

When senior School of Communications student Benjamin Zenker met Emily Wolfe for the first time at Freshman Preview Day this spring, he knew immediately that she would be a perfect fit for Blue Crew, an organization that works to promote school spirit and AU athletics on campus.

“She came to the Blue Crew table and was very energetic, very sociable,” Zenker said. “She actually brought people back to the table, and that’s a big deal, when you bring people back to a table, you know, because you’re that energetic about it.”

Just over six months after her introduction to Blue Crew, Wolfe, a School of International Service freshmen, earned an appointment as the chairperson of the Blue Crew Leadership Council. Zenker, who previously held the position as chairperson for the last three years, will move into an advisory role and continue serving as the AU Athletics Assistant for Marketing and Fan Experience.

“I’m branching more towards the external role, reaching out more to the DC community, the DMV community,” Zenker said.

Wolfe’s new role as chairperson will mark the beginning of an internal restructuring between the 28 members of the Blue Crew that Zenker hopes will allow for greater specialization. Over the summer, he worked extensively to raise awareness of Blue Crew and build support for athletics on campus but anticipates spending more time working externally with the city this year. Most recently, Zenker helped launch District Days, the new promotional brand for AU athletic sporting events, as one of his major initiatives to help bridge the gap between University athletics and the D.C. community. Wolfe said she admires Zenker’s commitment to Blue Crew and looks forward to moving into her leadership position.

“My goals for Blue Crew for the remainder of the year and into next year are really centered around BCLC [Blue Crew Leadership Council] becoming like a family and being able to work with athletics as one unit,” Wolfe said. “I believe that if we are close and all actually know each other, Blue Crew will be able to operate with ease.”

Before being promoted to her current position, Wolfe served as the Residence Hall Marketing and Promotions Assistant for the Blue Crew Leadership Council, and Zenker said her experience as a leader made her an ideal candidate for the chairperson role.

“Right away off the bat, she was in upper leadership, as you can say, in the leadership council because [she was] working directly with RHA in the Residence Halls to make sure they know about AU athletic events,” Zenker said.

With basketball season approaching, Wolfe said she plans to keep in touch with Zenker and continue to learn from him as she moves throughout her tenure as chairperson this year. She also hopes to build a great sense of cohesion within Blue Crew Leadership Council as a way to foster a ‘family’ atmosphere for athletics on campus.

“As chair, I will be extremely oriented within the BCLC organization,” Wolfe said. “My team is important to me, and they will be put first. I want them to know me and work with me.”

sscovel@theeagleonline.com