Image

Concert Preview: Wavves to stop by D.C. in support of new album

Following the release of its latest album “V,” California surf-punk band Wavves will head to the 9:30 Club on Oct. 7. Chicago natives and teenage punk-prodigies Twin Peaks will perform an opening set.

“V,” released Oct. 2 on Spotify, features heavy, throbbing tracks like “My Head Hurts,” “Way Too Much” and “Heart Attack.” The album adheres to Wavves’ punk attitude but deals with real-life problems. In the track “My Head Hurts,” Wavves sings about complicated romantic relationships with lyrics “But my head hurts, and without you it’s worse. Suffocating on my own, You’re killing me, I hope you know.”

Much of Wavves’ newest album sounds as if frontman Nathan Williams is trying to jump off the proverbial sinking ship. In the band’s latest video for “Way Too Much,” the juxtaposed contrast of a wrestler being thrown to the ground, while Williams sings, “This conversation’s getting boring” is almost funny. However, the imagery of this underground wrestling video is far from laughable.

The band has drifted from the surf-punk sounds of Wavves’ 2010 eponymous debut. Its popular single “King of The Beach” gained traction largely due to the clever play on the genre’s fascination with seaside lifestyle and the track’s catchy hooks. Despite the song’s undeniable egotism, the music is unwaveringly charming.

In “V,” Wavves has gone down the dark alley of maturation but keeps its trademark sardonic tone. “Heavy Metal Detox,” for example, seems to poke fun at the dietary lifestyle of Californians—maybe they just need a dose of punk and metal to feel better about themselves?

Twin Peaks is a young band, but has steadily gained traction from their 2013 debut EP “Sunken” and subsequent 2014 release, “Wild Onion.” The band’s track “Irene” off “Sunken” makes you feel as if you are swirling in the eddies of a river creek: perfectly fitting for the band’s reference to David Lynch’s mystery show.

Wavves and Twin Peaks at the 9:30 Club is bound to be an energetic show due to the darker tone and energy of Wavves’ newest album; mosh pits and head-banging can be expected.

Wavves & Twin Peaks will perform at 9:30 Club on Oct. 7. Tickets are still available.