Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024

Concert Preview: Metalachi prepares to rock Black Cat this Friday

Students with eclectic tastes in music, concertgoers looking for something new and fans of portmanteaus alike will enjoy Metalachi — a metal-mariachi fusion band. The Mexican group is on its second East Coast tour, dubbed the “East Coast Offensive Tour,” and will perform at the Black Cat on Oct. 9.

Metalachi’s combination of ‘80s hair metal and traditional string and horn instruments will leave concertgoers feeling aroused and wanting more. Earlier this year, the band achieved slightly-above-dive-bar success when they auditioned for “America’s Got Talent.” All four judges voted “Si!” after the band’s performance of Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It.”

One Youtube commenter, “KaptKan1,” summed up the Metalachi experience by describing the band as, “Entirely absurd, ridiculous, culturally insensitive, and silly in the extreme. I like it.”

Crowd favorites include Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train,” Slayer’s “Reign In Blood,” (sometimes accompanied by Slayer’s drummer Dave Lombardo himself), Pantera’s “Cemetery Gates” and Guns N Roses’ “Sweet Child of Mine.” For those unable to rock out during the live show, a few crowd favorites can be found on the band’s one and only album, “Uno.”

If you have ever felt like the only metal head on campus, or only wear your sombrero when you think no one is looking, this is the show for you.

Hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu introduce themselves and talk about their favorite TV shows. This episode includes fun facts, recommendations and personal connections.