Music

Tune in: The Scene's music picks of the week

​The Scene chimes in with staff picks for your weekly music fix.

Don't you love it when you accidentally come across a new song and shortly after start obsessing over it? We at The Eagle love it. So every week, staff members will reveal what songs they're currently in love with to lessen the time before your next obsession.

“You Cried Me” by Jookabox

Jookabox, the brainchild of Indianapolis based artist David Adamson, snuck its way onto my weekly playlist amidst a slew of rock-oriented offerings. Miraculously, this simple, scrappy freak-folk track quickly became this week’s earworm— I can’t stop listening. Adamson’s self-described psychedelic “zombie musical” leans on a catchy hook, hyperactive strumming, and a strangely endearing music video. - Trent Burns

“Fener” by Beirut

I've been jamming to the song "Fener" by Beirut on their new album ‘No No No.’ It's got a kind of old time feel but at the same time is really catchy and with a cutting-edge beat. It's divided into two similar parts that each bring their own flair to the table. - Chase Cabot

"Blaff" by Telephones

Telephones is a Berlin-based producer that I've been listening to on repeat. This track has strong tropical vibes without giving off a cheesy tone. “Blaff” is a cosmic and beachy track, and despite being pretty simple and nostalgic, the song never gets old. It's produced so well that it feels like it was done by a house music prodigy for Café del Mar. This track has been helping me hold on to that spontaneous summer feeling. - Izzi McDonnell

"In the Mornin'" by Alexander Lewis

Shlohmo teaming with Jeremih has been one of my favorite collaborations of all time. Two years later, it's hard for me to keep playing "Fuck You All The Time" on my radio show, despite it being my favorite song. Alexander Lewis comes along and does this fresh refix that completely reinvents and revitalizes the track, without losing the soul of the original. The heavy drop is raw, unexpected, and exciting. The atmospheric added tones give the bedroom scene a heightened sense of mystery. - Izzi McDonnell

"Unbreakable Smile" by Tori Kelly

Tori Kelly has been my go-to pop artist since I first discovered her YouTube cover of Frank Ocean's "Thinkin Bout You," which now has over 23 million views. "Unbreakable Smile" takes my love for her jazzy style to the next level. An autobiographical tale of Kelly's journey through the music industry, the song is a catchy tune with a message that hits home in all of the right ways. - Haley Samsel

"The Hate Campaign" by Traitors

Florida's Traitors brings an uncompromising approach to down-tempo deathcore. The title track off their 2015 album, "The Hate Campaign," pulls no punches in its brutal delivery. Tyler Shelton's vocals are massive, pummeling the listener into submission along with the bands insanely low and deliberate breakdowns. "The Hate Campaign" builds in maddening frustration until it overflows and bursts into the heaviest moment of the song as Shelton bellows, "WE ARE NOW AUTHORITY.” - Tanner Hackney