Tomato

Explore D.C.’s farmers markets before summer ends

Fresh produce may sometimes seem inaccessible without emptying your wallet in the Whole Foods line, but luckily there is an alternative in your local farmers market. Farmers markets offer tasty, often cheaper food options that will make you feel good about consuming them. D.C. offers a variety of markets with mouth-watering products, so head over to these local spots and scoop up some summer produce as the season comes to a close.

Dupont Circle farmers market

The Dupont Circle market carries a large collection of local goods. Some vendors, like Black Rock Orchard and New Morning Farm, sell fresh fruits and vegetables, but other vendors specialize in warm prepared foods.

For restaurant-worthy cuisine with a relaxed vibe, hit one of the vendors selling gourmet meals and baked goods. Chaia serves up seasonal, vegetarian tacos with fillings like charred corn and green chilies. For the lovers of all things French and carb-filled, Patisserie Poupon has you covered with delectable pastries, breads and elegant desserts. Finally, hit up Pleasant Pops for a refreshing, icy fruit pop to cool off from your morning of shopping.

Pastries from Patisserie Poupon at the Dupont Circle farmers market (Lauren Staehle/The Eagle)

Hours: Sundays 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Where: 1500 20th St. NW

Metro: Dupont Circle, Red Line

Bethesda Central Farm Market

The farmers market in Bethesda provides a top-notch assortment of food choices every Sunday. Westmoreland Produce and Berry Farms brings a huge selection of perfectly ripe fruits each week, and The Mushroom Stand supplies a selection of mushrooms unlike any you would find at the grocery store.

The Bethesda market also offers unique prepared food vendors as well, like Cavanna Pasta, which sells beautiful strands of fresh, homemade noodles, and Dolci Gelati, which dishes up gelato that could rival any ice cream. Students can hit up the market for breakfast or lunch and select entrees from Rita’s Crepes, Pinch Dumplings or Meat Crafters for gourmet food with a relaxed, summer vibe.

Pesto crepe from Rita’s Crepes at the Bethesda farmers market (Lauren Staehle/The Eagle)

Hours: Sundays 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Where: 7600 Arlington Rd, Bethesda, MD

Metro: Bethesda, Red Line

14&U Farmers' Market

The farmers market at 14th and U Streets is the perfect urban market to visit before a day of exploring the city. McCleaf’s Orchards sells a great selection of fruits and vegetables, and Kuhn’s Orchards is your go-to place for those hard to find vegetables, like tomatillos and bitter melon.

For something you won’t find anywhere else, grab some locally made goat cheese from Cherry Glen Goat Cheese Co., or pucker up at Number 1 Sons with their kimchi, pickles and sauerkraut. But you shouldn’t leave before you stop by Whisked! for delectable pies, cookies, cakes and tarts.

Strawberries at a local farmers market (Lauren Staehle/The Eagle)

Hours: Saturdays 9 a.m. to 1 p.m

Where: 14th Street NW and U Street NW

Metro: U Street, Green and Yellow Line