EI Ten Eleven

L.A. duo El Ten Eleven to bring lively loops and rocking rhythms to D.C.

American University students, especially documentary fans, may have already heard El Ten Eleven and never even known it. The L.A. based duo creates music that is cerebral and peaceful yet relentlessly energetic, and has been featured in Gary Hustwit’s documentary films “Urbanized,” “Objectified” and “Helvetica.” El Ten Eleven will bring its expansive, harmonious sound to the Black Cat on Sept. 25.

El Ten Eleven formed in 2002 when multi-instrumentalist Kristian Dunn and percussionist Tim Fogarty began creating spacey, melodic instrumental music with driving post-rock sensibility. The two musicians released their eponymous debut in 2004 and quickly gained a reputation as one of the most skilled duos in Los Angeles’ oversaturated music scene.

The band released their sixth studio album, “Fast Forward,” on Aug. 21. New listeners will find themselves mesmerized by Dunn’s atmospheric guitar melodies, while loyal fans will find something new to love in Fogarty’s invigorated, dance-ready drumming.

Wielding a double-necked bass/guitar combo, Dunn weaves together basslines and guitar melodies—sometimes simultaneously—and relies on an army of effects pedals to loop, warp and shift his playing into a dizzying web of sonic beauty. Fogarty holds a steady beat, and often a purposefully unsteady one, while masterfully blending electronic and acoustic drumming to support Dunn’s dizzying fretboard acrobatics.

Concertgoers can expect to hear new standout tracks like “Peter and Jack,” and “Point Breeze,” as well as hidden gems like “We Lost a Giant.” Old favorites such as “My Only Swerving,” “Fanshawe,” and the mind-bending “Transitions” are also likely to make it into the set.

El Ten Eleven will perform at the Black Cat on Sept. 25. Tickets are still available, doors open at 9 p.m. 

tburns@theeagleonline.com