Neon Trees

Concert Preview: Neon Trees to serenade fans at intimate 9:30 Club concert

The band’s bass guitarist Branden Campbell said this one’s for the “core fans.”

American rock band Neon Trees will bring its free-spirited sound to the 9:30 Club on July 20 as part of the band’s “An Intimate Night With Neon Trees” tour.

The Utah-based band rose to fame in 2008 as an opening act for The Killers. Since then, the band has climbed up the Billboard Hot 100 with its single “Animal,” which reached number thirteen on the list in 2010 and won Top Alternative Song at the 2011 Billboard Music Awards.

But Neon Trees won’t focus on this single at their upcoming 9:30 Club show. Instead, the band will base most of its performances at this cozy event off its latest album, “Pop Psychology,” which includes the old-school-feeling “Sleeping With a Friend,” according to to an email from BB Gun Press. The band will also perform its new single “Songs I Can’t Listen To” at the venue.

Neon Trees’ bass guitarist Branden Campbell said in an interview with The Eagle that the band looks forward to playing at the 9:30 Club because of the venue’s warm environment. Unlike other D.C. settings the band has performed in, Campbell said the 9:30 Club provides a connection not available at other music halls due to its smaller size.

“We’ve done the Verizon Center before,” Campbell said. “We’ve done some big shows [in D.C.], so the 9:30 Club is still gonna be kind of on par with our intimate theme.”

Campbell said he knows some Neon Trees fans only recognize a few of the band’s songs. But “An Intimate night With Neon Trees” hopes to establish a strong bond between the band and its hardcore fans, he said.

“Every band benefits from being a buzz band at times,” Campbell said. “You get people who come out because they know one or two songs that you play, or they saw you on TV, and so they want to come and be a part of the excitement. This is more for the core fans and for the experienced Neon Trees listener.”

Neon Trees will perform at the 9:30 Club on July 20. Doors will open at 7 p.m. Tickets are available online for $25.

frodriguez@theeagleonline.com